Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

Does the Ninja have a reserve tank?

31K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  AUDACIA 
#1 ·
While I was stranded on the highway with no gas and the gauge saying full, I noticed a lever on the gas line that looked like a reserve position on it. There were no tools in my tool bag that could have turned the damn thing. I penny might have worked but I had no coins. The lever on the line said GAS and PRI. I now give the floor to you all to enlighten me with your wisdom.

#27 ·
this was left open ended without conclusion.

So for the Noobs. Currently there is not a reserve on the 250r.
Leave the fuel valve at ON.
PRI lets the fuel flow unrestricted past the diaphram.
PRI is NOT a reserve.

Here
http://www.obairlann.net/reaper/motorcycle/ninja/reserve-faq.html

This doesnt refer to the newer model which apparently only has ON and PRI but it has al the info needed to clear this up for anyone who doesnt fully understand. later

G
#28 ·
When I filled my gas tank up for the first time it read 3/4 full and it was strapped upright on my trailer. I was wondering the same thing, "why isn't it full?".

The other thing I understood was when the tank is set to "pri" or prime, it's for draining the remainder of gas from the tank for servicing/removing the tank.

G
#31 ·
Another interesting thing to know is if you ever drop your bike and it won't start, this is what you should do. Rev the throttle while pushing the ignition, this burns off the extra gas that flooded the engine. I read it in the manual and it's a good thing I did cause a laid my bike down the first time I ever rode it, and it worked. I leaned it over too far and just had to lay it down easy in the grass, no damage, just got dirt on the blinker and mirror. And I saw a guy lay his ninja down at speed while braking to stop for traffic at an intersection after hitting an oil slick on a wet road, same thing happened to him, bike wouldn't start. Laying the bike down floods it I guess.

#34 ·
same thing happened to me but i didn't know that, but for some strange reason i did that having no idea i was suppose to and it worked. it fell over at 0 mph so there was only a few scraches that you would only really notice if you knew they were there.

#37 ·
Doomsday said:
Another interesting thing to know is if you ever drop your bike and it won't start, this is what you should do. Rev the throttle while pushing the ignition, this burns off the extra gas that flooded the engine. I read it in the manual and it's a good thing I did cause a laid my bike down the first time I ever rode it, and it worked. I leaned it over too far and just had to lay it down easy in the grass, no damage, just got dirt on the blinker and mirror. And I saw a guy lay his ninja down at speed while braking to stop for traffic at an intersection after hitting an oil slick on a wet road, same thing happened to him, bike wouldn't start. Laying the bike down floods it I guess.
By opening the throttle it actually allows more air flow into the carbs and that's why you get spark. Just be ready to let off the throttle when she turns over!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.