Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend got a wrecked SV650S from another friend who can't ride it anymore. The damage was mostly cosmetic except for the subframe, the problem I'm having is I can't get it started. When the key is turned the lights come on and the horn works, although not very loud, and when the ignition is hit...nothing, it doesn't try to turn start, doesn't click, just sits there lights on and everything. After the first try we hooked up the battery to a charger and the horn went back to normal but once again nothing happens. The bike has gas, it in neutral, and has all new fuses. Any idea why it won't do anything?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
hum... the kill switch is not on is it? just checking.. u never know... .. and how you know its in neutral?

no cranking at all huh.. wrecked... hmmmm look around the damage and see if there is any cut wires that could be the problem.. 9 out of 10 you will find the problem there.. look carefully.. even where you at least expect it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it's in neutral cuz it can still shift and rolls without the clutch in, we've checked all the wires plugged them to their respective ports. The kill switch if off. Is it possible for the bike to still think its turned over on its side and won't left it start cuz the mechanism still believes it's on its side?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
See if it don't start.. U got something electrical that its not allowing it .. A simple relay can be the cause. Try pressing down the cluch and see if it starts. .. Even though the bike still rolls showing to be in neutral the impact on the bike is the main factor...

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
If that doesn't work, check the battery - is it a sealed battery, or maybe during the dump, too much of the electrolyte spilled out on the road, and it's not carrying enough charge to crank the engine. Make sure, if it's an open cell, that you fill it back up with electrolyte - and wash the entire bike, because electrolyte is sulfuring acid, and will eat paint if left on long enough.... Check, and come back with more, I'd be happy to try and keep getting this thing running...

The SV650 is one of my dream bikes. (drool)...

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Sounds like a typical case of low amperage on the battery. Try jump starting it from a good 12v battery. Be careful if you use a car battery. Bike to Bike or lawn tractor to bike is better. However also check your side stand switch and fall sensor switch. One of these two may also be the culprit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok the battery has been unplugged and reconnected, hooked up and attempted to be jumped off, had the clutch pulled in and nothing still. All the wire are connected, none of them have been cut to rubbed, all the fuses are also new. Where is the fall sensor switch?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha my friend actually has a problem with that, he's never owned a bike b4 so sometimes he'll put the key in and then be like "Shoot the lights aren't even working now!" that's when I have to remind him with a couple kind words that he needs to turn the key to the "ON" position.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tried that, another NO-GO. I'm thinking it's the fall sensor like Blue Ghost suggested, that fits all symptoms.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The "fall" or "tip" sensor on the 250 Ninja is located on the right side of the frame under the tank on the FI version. ( for those reading this post that have a 250)
On the SV650 it might be between the battery and the rear shock on the frame. ( might have to remove the seat to access /may be different locations on year models). The tip sensor will faintly click if tilted over. Look for a little sensor mounted by a rubber holder. Also there is a throttle position sensor that you might want to check as well. ( on the right side under the tank on the manifold intake)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is the throttle position sensor just a little plug? And on the fall sensor would I just need to unplug the plug it back in?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nope you said it, I'll be back in a couple of minutes with the results or days, depending on how it goes. ;)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Throttle position sensor is a black plug w/ wires. You can make sure the tip sensor is plugged in good, but most important make sure it is level and mounted properly. If all else fails have the dealer read the code(s) that maybe stored in memory in the ECU.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also Spooph, if the battery had spilled would it be able to turn the lights on and everything but not have enough power to start the bike?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts