Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all! I just got whistler radar detector xtr330... does anybody use detectors on the bike? how do they work>? does anybody have experience with this? I'm not familiar with such stuff. Whats the best way to mount it on the bike? And is this thing really can detect police and give you time to slow down?! ::)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I have one and used it once. Hard to see and hear in the daytime. It also has to be at the correct angle to be effective. If you have a 360 degree radar detector, rear detection will be effected by you sitting right in front of it.
You will have a better reaction time looking down the rode a ways for police instead of looking down at the radar detector. Ride with the flow of traffic or someone else who is moving a little faster. Your deceleration time will be much faster than theirs if there is police present. Whatever you do, try not to speed within the city limits in the open. You'll get caught more often.
I know the Ninja just says more speed please!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I second that blue ghost. Unless u have a radar that has a good view of ur front, and an audio plug where u can use a head set so u can hear it and don't have to look down to the radar. ... the best defense will be your eyes and be alert.. Best thing is don't speed. One thing we don't want to hear is about a member from here coming out on cops and u are been chase live. Lmao ..... that would give the 250 a promotion to sell. Hmmm....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know I will try to use that one It has indicators and also it startS to be noisy when It snoops police. Will I not hear that? Anyway I will give it a try...I bought already hard wire kit so when I'll get that I'll mount it on the bike. Will see

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hello everybody! I don't want make new topic so will continue here. I want to mount Radar on my bike. I got already wires for it. Just I don't Know much about electricity things and would liKe you guys help me please.here is the link of the cord that i got: http://www.safe-n-sound1.com/Whistler%20Direct%20Cord%20with%20FUSE.html
this cord has t-tap, blade fuse the big one, not mini :) and this metal ring thing :)
so how should i connect everythinng? there is explanation thought but still i cant get it/// help please. help me ! my ignorance is still huge ???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes plus gps that I mount sometime. The detector saved me twice at low speeds, once on a 30mph road when I was doing 45 and another time on the parkway that I was just about to hit a straight away and it started beeping. Really hard to hear above 50mph but I have heard it a few times at 60mph. Check out http://onthewebsite.com/mc/GPS-radar/ for pics. GPS touchscreen died so I have a different one I velco to same spot.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yep thats the picture of detector and the cord that i got. cord has fuse, t-tap connector (blue on the picture), ring and plug. Instructions:
start by testing your new cord to ensure it's working properly. Mount the unit in the location desired. Be sure to have the cord a little loose for ease of connection the plug later. Make ground connection by clamping the ring terminal on the black wire under any ground screw (make sure your vehicle is negative ground. Select a "switched" wire or Fuse i.e. one that's off when the ignition is switched off and has 12 volts when the ignition is switched on. Position T-tap connector around "switched" wire and squeeze with pliers to install or use the provided Fuse tap into the radio fuse. plug red wire From direct cord to the power tap and plug the power plug to test the unit...-- so.... any ideas to help me out? ;D ;DAs honestly I didn't get how to get that done ::)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
this looks easy .. do you have a tester? to test each wire close to the handle bars... again i said close to not on the handle bar.. if this is not available.. you could plug it directly to the battery. the bad thing about this is that the power will be constant.. so if you leave your radar on it will drain the battery.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no I dont have tester :( Actually I dont even know how this tool looks like :) sorry... Its ok that power is going to be constant. I will just take the plug out its not a big deal. I dont understand where this fuse should be attached and where this t-tap thing should go... All right this ring thing goes on the terminal. But positive or negative? Or it does not matter?

·
Registered
11 Posts
this thing really can detect police and give you time to slow down?!

I am a fedaral officer in Pa. State police and federal police are the only officers that can use radar......The way radar is used it sends a freq out to the vehical and it bounces off and sends it back to the unit.....the freq .....if you could see it would look kinda like bat radar in a shape of a cone. So the further out you are the less accurette it is ....Also it will pick up the bigger of the two vehicals no matter how fast they are goin at the time as long as they are side by side(highway). Now where the detector comes in..... It recieves the freq and beeps and lights up. microwaves auto doors will set if off. but if a cop has radar on you and the thing is going nuts????? It's too late....I sit and watch people slow way down as soon as they see me but what people dont know is I watch them go from 85mph all the way to 65mph so at top speed 85mph is what the ticket would be. Radar is used up to about 200 yds out not when you go past the officer it almost has to be straight ahead no angles the bigger the angle you have the more off the (lower) mph are going to be. So all that said dont use it going through shopping areas, developments or consruction sites, cause you will be slowing down every 30ft. If you are on the highway and it beep lights up two or three bars??? there is most likely a trap a mile or so down the road.....Hope that helps...ohh yeah and if you are speeding get clocked next to a 18 wheeler it will pick that up and not you.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.