Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I took the idea from setasai, over on ninjette.org, from his write up on a custom garmin gps mount here

Basically, I wanted to mount my iPhone so I know when someone important calls while I'm riding, like my girl or the office. Unfortunately, all the prefabbed mounts I found only worked with the iphone while it is not in a case. I wanted to be able to use a mount for my iPhone 4 while still in the trusty and durable Otter Box Defender case. So heres what I did....

1. I ordered an extra Otterbox beltclip/holster from ebay.
2. I removed the beltclip from the holster
3. Went to Home Depot for some 1/8" thick, 3/4" wide aluminum strip metal, nuts, bolts & washers
4. Used a metal coat hanger to bend up a stencil for the design of the cross bracket, using the 2 lower bolts of the windscreen in the dash area as my mounting points
5. Bent my aluminum strip at the same angles of my metal hanger stencil.
6. Marked where all the holes needed to be drilled on the aluminum bracket
7. Fabbed up an L-bracket to mount to the cross bracket
8. Mounted the holster to the L-bracket
9. Made sure it all looked good
10. Removed, sanded, primed, painted and remounted

Here are some pics to help visualize. Also, mounted my garage remote with some velcro below the ignition keyhole, between the handlebars, lol. Works out great.

Extra Otter Box Holster

Beltclip on back that I removed

Otter Box holster without iPhone

Otter Box holster with iPhone

Brackets and bolt all primed, painted and ready to reinstall

Painted bracket & Otter Box holster without iPhone

Front view

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
ooo, I like this, a lot! Thanks for posting up. I'm thinking about doing something for my pearl... Just got a bluetooth headset, so I'll be playing with something of this nature as well.

Good on you! It looks clean and professional. Plus that rail can easily be adapted to fit more stuff on there. I like it! Well done sir!

·
Registered
656 Posts
That's a good idea :), great way to mount up a phone on the dash. I'm working on fabbing light brackets for my car at the moment for KC55watt lights. Afterward (likely this weekend) I'll be working on my bike and ordering an air horn for it :D.

I like how you used the preexisting screws to mount your case.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Depends on the phone.... The Iphone has a hybridized location system with a real GPS receiver. When it can't find a satellite it will use cell towers and wi-fi hotspots as reference points. It can generally get you within a foot of your actual location. Pretty nifty. Needless to say, it's pretty darn accurate concerning speed. However, you're never EXACTLY sure where it's pulling the signal from. If you want true GPS, get a real GPS reciever....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.