Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I got so tired of my stock handlebars, I didnt even want to ride anymore. I was so sick of the high handlebars. And did it without spending 200 dollars for the woodcraft lowered risers. I didn't spend more than 40 dollars on this mod. And boom, I installed some clipons ;D Now my riding position looks like a REAL sportsbike position, feels great, and provides me with much greater performance in my leaning. Only downside is I can't take a low speed two lane U-turn anymore, i'm requiring about 2 and a half lanes at that ;)

Welded together 37mm and 7/8'' two-piece shaft collars (some very serious, heavy duty metal), bought a little 7/8'' OD tubing, some long painstaking work to get the controls to all fit on nicely. I did have to cut into the fairings a bit, as these DIY clipons are much lower than woodcraft's.

after clipons

and before clipons

next on the list... exaust! can anybody tell me what will happen to my HP and torque if i cut off my muffler??

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, yeah with the blinker and throttle assembly sitting straight up and down on the front of the bars, like stock position, you aren't getting anywhere. You can see how I positioned them on the bars to get minimum contact. And It still required alot of fairing cutting on the left side. It was the bottom of the clutch that was hitting over there. But this is a great example of how the fairings on the ex250 just arent cut out for clipons. But yes, i'm not worried about it. I'm turning this bike into a track bike, cutting the fairings a little bit didn't phase me. Front brake line took a bit of working on during this mod.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shaft Collars

Hi looks like you did an awesome job! I was curious if you can tell me where you were able to find 37mm shaft collars? I have been searching the internet and that seems to be the one size that nobody manufactures!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I couldn't find metric sizes either. I actually had to get those two shaft collars in standard units. I called the supplier, and she gave me the closest size in standard. I wish I could remember what it was, but it was only about .10 cm off. Ask for the closest size to 37mm. You can get one that is slightly larger, or slightly smaller. Get the one that is slightly smaller.

I had to grind the tips on the inside of each shaft collar piece (four pieces total) with a dremmel. The depth needed to grind off for the shaft collars to fit snugly around the forks, is probably about the thickness of your thumb nail. It's a very small amount. Here's a quick illustration of the area of the shaft collar than needs grinding:
View attachment 1810

The red indicates the area that needs a slight trim.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
38mm is basically 1+1/2", so that is possibly what you ordered, and by the way it is not "Standard" size it's "Imperial" You 'Mericans always get it wrong!!!:p

When is Metric going to be "Standard" in the US? Anyone??

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you don't plan on re-selling the bike...this is a great idea. But seeing as I do want to sell this someday (albeit a couple years)...I don't see myself making this modification. That being said...this is a very good write-up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.