Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right, so I know the stock automatic cam chain tensioner is a piece of crap. It is light years ahead of the old style tensioners on the previous gen 250 though.... And in fact, if you keep it maintained, is not a bad unit for daily riding/use.

However, it is exposed to the elements, and the seal on the outside is pretty much crap and strips easy. The key is to clean it with WD40 EVERY TIME you do an oil change. If you can't or aren't willing to do THAT, AT LEAST every time you have a valve adjust done.....

It would also be better for your mood and hands if you just clean it, working the action for the full range with some WD40 and compressed air. in and out, in and out. :rolleyes: Yea, you get the idea... It's time, it gets tedious, but it's EASIER than what I'm about to show you.... ;D

So: Remove cam chain tensioner and slip this little clip towards the BACK of the tensioner. DO NOT take it off the front and leave it laying on the bench:

Take the tensioner apart, clean and lube all the parts. I'm finding thick lithium grease works just fine!

Put it all back together, making sure the outside spring clips into the body where it's supposed to:

And this is the tricky part, the part that will make you cringe, cuss and generally want to destroy this stupid little piece of hardware. You have to compress the outer spring by "tightening" the tensioner, which causes the expansion rod to compress the inner spring in the opposite direction that the outer spring, all while NOT pushing the inner assembly out of the outer assembly. You'll know it's compressed enough when you can't fit the plate-lock at the bottom into the notches because the spring is wound too tightly. Back it up a few turns and it should fit in.

I'm not going to explain this any more or add any more pictures. If after taking your tensioner apart, and reading this post, you still can't figure out to do it, I would recommend you just put it in a box and send it to me. I'll rebuild it for you for $30. I have the second set of experienced hands you'd need. If you want to attempt it on your own, I'll do my best to explain, but I won't be removing it from my bike to take pics again.... THIS IS NOT EASY MAINTENANCE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!! :eek::eek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Man, thanks a lot, I was looking after a exploded view of the CCT before disassembling it. I'm hearing a rattling noise in my 09' Ninja when I desacelerate from 8000k to 5000k, then rattling dissapears. I'm 90% sure that comes from the camshaft chain side. I'll try to rebuild and then see what happens. Tks again. Cheers from Buenos Aires.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.