Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was changing my oil today, and drained the oil, put the plug back in, and tightened it down. it felt a bit strange when i was tightening it, kinda like it was stripping, so i didnt push it. filled up with oil, and all was good. then i noticed a small drip. ok, so i wipe it off. still there. shit.

drain out the oil again, and look at the housing. HOLY SHIT.

called the kawi dealer, and they said they will talk to kawi monday morning and try to get it replaced under warranty. ive got a 3yr warranty so... shit i hope this turns out ok.

ill update as i find out more info.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Mate, that is bad news!! I hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
379 Posts
That looks nasty. Looks like a poor quality issue to me, or do you think you could've caused that somehow?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Nice Gummybear! That almost looks like you hit a rock or something, been off-roading the ninja, have we? HAHA J/K...

Even if they can't replace under warranty, i bet ya that part is less than $30, and no more than hour to put on, so no worries.... :)

Hope you get it back together with a quickness!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so good nooz! i talked with a dude at the kawi store, and he sounded like i would need a whole new block. thankfully senor bike bandit has informed me that in fact the oil drain plug is a seperate bolt on assembly :) huzzah!

its 37$ at bike bandit, + 5 dollars for the gasket, and 36c for a new drain plug gasket. so hopefully kawi will front for the parts, and then i can install them myself. i hope this goes super fast.

on another note, my bike is sitting with no oil in it now, because it will all just leak out. is this ok?

·
Registered
656 Posts
eh it should be ok but if its muggy out id recomend plugging holes up as best as possible, just incase some part of your block goes dry, which shouldn't happen but on safe side...

hah take the new block spend the 40$ and use that 250 for a kickass gocart!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
See Gummybear, I told ya, huh! No, it's not gonna hurt the bike to sit there without oil, especially just for a few days. If you left it that way in a VERY humid environment, for maybe 2 YEARS you might run the risk of rusting the crank, piston rings, or piston bearings, which I believe are steel. But the pistons and block are aluminum, so no worries there...

And even if you got rust, throw some oil in, and ride it like a bat out of hell for 500 miles, and change the oil. All rust gone, everything purty and polished again, ready for long-time abuse. :p

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hehe aight. im just getting antsy about getting it back up again... hope kawi covers it, then the dealer will let me install it myself, cause i dont wanna wait for them to take 2 weeks to open up a spot for a bolt on fix...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i dont know how it cracked... i dont think it was a rock, cause the threads were a bit messed up, as you can see in the pictures....

truth be told it was probably overtorqued, but the fact that the block cracked... i dk.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Good news Gummy!!!! put a piece of tape over the ignition so you don't accidently start it without oil. You would be surprised what we can do without thinking. Believe me with age comes wisdom (most of the time)

That part looks faulty for sure.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
haha yea thats probably a good idea zartan... you never know what may happen. im not planning on letting the dealership do the repair, but again, who knows.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
No not just the dealer...
I mean you might just go out to the garage with a friend and they say start it up and you do just because you forget about the oil... bam broken engine. I always tape my ignition. Kinda like a machine lock out.!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Oh gummybear,you did it.Changing the whole oil drain housing is a child's play.

As you are at it,there's an oil strainer inside the housing.You should aswell clean it.

You will be amazed what it traps.

To torque the bolt use this force.
Engine Oil Drain Bolt : 19.6N.M or 2.0kgf.m or 14.5ft.lb

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yep eric i am planning on cleaning that too. the whole thing is the waiting... its killing me. i just need to get the part NOW! :D

1 - 20 of 49 Posts