Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an apartment and our parking spots have no cover. And I do not want my bike getting rained on over night :(

Do you all use motorcycle covers? Which ones are great?
And is there any way to secure a motorcycle so that it will not get stolen? Like how cars have alarms and steering wheel locks? ???

Please let me know! Thanks :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
definately buy a cover..
i have a deluxe guardian cover, but its kind of a hassle for me..
it does however provide great cover and has lots of straps for a secure seal.

as for a lock, i am also looking into buying an alarm for my bike. (altho im thinking about just buying an alarm sticker and putting it on..) its all about deterence, and making it a hassle for theifs to take ur bike.
you could also get a disk U-lock. i know the bellevue Kawasaki was ordering some that are specially for the ninja 250. hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm in the same situation at an apartment. I definitely keep it covered at all times when I'm not riding it. My concern is that someone will see it and come back later at night to steal it or whatever. So i just want to mask it from view. I bought a $25 cover at the hardware store and it keeps the rain off. A week before I bought my bike a guy in my complex got his bike kicked over by some high school jackasses. So I constantly freak out about something like that happening.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
If you're looking for just security, and you live in a second story apartment, rig up a crane to bring your bike into the apartment at night, and park it in your living room. :D

You could also sink about 1,000lbs of concrete in the parking lot, with a HUGE tie down, and like MASSIVE chains.

You could also make the bike as un-appealing as possible, with a horrible paint job, etc. But that's just mean.

Or you could get Lo-Jack.

Kiddery aside, for tip-overs, frame sliders are awesome. For theft, full-coverage, including theft insurance is the best policy.

Gawa is right on the money, deterrent is everything, so a sticker and blinking LED will probably do you just as much good as a real alarm system, and a "bike anchor". The guys who really know what they're doing, who have the tools, and who really want the bike, will break all deterrents...

So, in the end, do what you can, and don't worry. Karma is real :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Jester said:
t1gawa said:
[snip]i know the bellevue Kawasaki was ordering some that are specially for the ninja 250. hope that helps. :)
Don't buy a disk brake lock "specifically for the 250". It's a rip off. Any old one should work - last time I checked they weren't model specific.

Also, check out this link for an alarm:
http://www.newninja.com/found/alarm-system/
oh haha i just wrote that because, that disk lock actually fits perfectly underneath the rear cowel, in fact they made a space for it and anything.. but you're right. any ol' lock would work.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys for the awesome advice.

I will look into getting a cover asap. And I wasn't aware that motorcycles can have alarm systems inputted too, that's pretty handy. I might look into that. Where can I purchase a nice cover? Would the motorcycle stores have them?

As for bringing the bike into my living room, that would probably be THE BEST thing to do!!! Except it's not gonna happen.... :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would advise not getting one 250 specific. Under the cover no one will know what you have.

If someone wants to steal it they will. No amount of locks/alarms will prevent a thief that knows what they are doing.

That being said I would at least invest in some sort of alarm or at least a chain. Being at University a lot I always bring my chain. At my complex I always park it on my back patio locked [sucks you are on the 2nd floor].

Currently using the Almax IV chain...

Almax Immobilizer Series IV

For got to say I also have a Cyclone alarm in addition to the chain...

http://freymoto.com/cyclone_866F.php

·
Registered
41 Posts
rinachandayo said:
Actually I live on the first floor, but the apartment is strict and they won't let us put anything on the back porch. Other wise it would go there for sure.
Can't park around back at all? Doesn't have to go on the porch could just go on the sidewalk leading up to the door or something..?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope :( My back porch area faces the street. And we're strictly not allowed to put anything back there unless it's like barbecue stuff. No chairs, no tires, no junk, no bicycles either. Which is a little bit ridiculous. >=(

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got it installed! And today, I finally brought it home to Redmond. It was a pretty nice drive :D

The alarm is pretty damn loud I like it and I was able to fit it under my back seat. having the remote is nice too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.