Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a couple questions about some of the sliders I've seen on here. Here goes:

How's the build quality of the shoguns?
Are they truly no-cut?
Are the brackets for said shoguns machined or welded tubes?
Do the shoguns use long bolts that go clear through the engine mounts?

Anybody here have the LSL sliders? If so same basic questions for those too.

My other bike, a 2005 SV650 nekkid, has Motosliders on it. They mount at the upper engine mount and use a beefy 10mm bolt that goes clear through the engine mounts for strength. The shoguns seem similar, but I've been having a hard time finding good pics and descriptions, what grade hardware used (gr. 8, etc), etc, etc. I was kind of looking at the Intuitive Racing sliders, as the seem sort of like motosliders, but the whole offset mounting thing and long skinny perch look like they'd just bend rather than support the bike in a fall. Anywho, any help, tips, suggestions, whatever would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I forgot what slider brand I have but not shoguns. (Mine came free as a deal with the dealer) My sliders are the same as your 2005 as they are attached to a new aftermarket bolt through the engine. Normally i think they were sold at $114 at the dealership price. They are solid and have protected my bike from serious damage when I hit a guard rail as I was stopping on the side of the road and slid on gravel.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Shoguns are tops. I have crash tested them at 70 mph and they are really good. I crash tested the intutives at about 60 and the mount bolt snapped and magically disappeared into thin air. Had they stayed in place I would have had zero damage but they came loose when the bolt broke. Thank god I sell body work. :)

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Pardon the self-promotion, but: http://www.newninja.com/modifications/frame-sliders-ie-hopefully-only-highway-pegs!!!/msg17975/#msg17975

I fixted the image links....

I agree with ztrack. When I first bought mine, the Shogun and LSL's were the only ones available. I went with the shogun being that they seemed a lot more solid. I have since proved that they are.... However, keep in mind, frame sliders are designed to save your frame, engine and such, and not body work....

If you go down in gravel, they will probably not save the paint or the fairings, but they will keep the bike from being totaled....

Hope this helps. I know nothing of the LSL's, but ask more follow-ups...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks gang. I'd already seen all of those, but still appreciate the help. I did find a thread on kawiforums about the intuitive sliders, and it seems my thought on those were correct. Too long to not bend. Ztrack also confirmed this up above. And I know these aren't a magic bullet to keep the fairings from harm, I just want something to help in a low speed drop. My wife rides a Suzuki S40 (650 single cyl. cruiser), but is interested in a naked ie Duc monster 696. I figured the ninjette would be a better intro into sport bike foot control layout than my SV650. So that's mainly why I'm shopping for frame and swingarm sliders. So...has anybody seen the LSL mounting brackets? The sato's look similar in design to the shogun, but are more $$. I agree with ya'll that the multi point mount makes for a much more solid set up. I like the LSL's cuz they're pretty trick, but will prolly end up going for the shoguns and just getting the whole crash kit. I may not use the bar ends, but will def use the frame and swingarm sliders...especially so I can use my rear stand for maint. Thanks again and sorry for the novel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Whats up fish, i just ordered me up a whole kit myself (shoguns)......bout to come in within a week, i cant wait........i'll post the progress as i hope you'd do the same. I gotta couple of stunter friends and they advise shoguns.......frame sliders are the cheap work around......from putting on a roll cage........

Chamoru_SOULJA

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Boar, my 250 has never been down at speeds above 10mph. I went down once in an iced-over parking lot pulling a u-turn and cracked the rear fairing (which was $45 to replace), and my bike has been dropped a few times on each side, by other people, some of which I taught how to ride and it was expected, and once by a guy riding a cruiser much too big for him and bumping into my bike on gravel... It's just character... :p

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
spooph said:
and once by a guy riding a cruiser much too big for him and bumping into my bike on gravel... It's just character... :p
Indie gets around doesn't he!!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
fishhead said:
I've got a couple questions about some of the sliders I've seen on here. Here goes:

How's the build quality of the shoguns?
Are they truly no-cut?
Are the brackets for said shoguns machined or welded tubes?
Do the shoguns use long bolts that go clear through the engine mounts?

Anybody here have the LSL sliders? If so same basic questions for those too.

My other bike, a 2005 SV650 nekkid, has Motosliders on it. They mount at the upper engine mount and use a beefy 10mm bolt that goes clear through the engine mounts for strength. The shoguns seem similar, but I've been having a hard time finding good pics and descriptions, what grade hardware used (gr. 8, etc), etc, etc. I was kind of looking at the Intuitive Racing sliders, as the seem sort of like motosliders, but the whole offset mounting thing and long skinny perch look like they'd just bend rather than support the bike in a fall. Anywho, any help, tips, suggestions, whatever would be appreciated.

The shogun are welded and have 2 bolts that pass throught the to the other side of the bike. They say that they are no cut but you do have to modify the front sproket cover...if you have a dremel you can do it easy. I jsut installed them...directions suck but otherwise they look good and fit well. I almost prefer that they dont bolt to the frame so if i do end up using them they dont damage the fram and only mess up the holding assembly for the slider.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.