Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
How did your bike overheat by warming up? Did you stay on the throttle at red line the entire time? I think there's something else going on here...

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Tweek, there is something else going on with your bike. First off, the bike won't overheat at idle. Second, keeping the choke on makes it richer, which makes combustion temps lower. Third, the fact that you were warming it up implies that it was colder outside, and ambient temps below 70F there should be no overheating probs.... So, it's overflowing and pumping coolant out. Here's a couple of q's:

1.) Do you use antirfreeze and/or water, and at which ratio?
2.) what are the typical ambient temps when you ride - when the bike is running.
3.) Where are you filling up the cooling system? In the overflow bottle, or at the radiator cap?
4.) How many miles on the bike, how long have you had it, how often do you drive it, are you the first owner, and have you had all maintenance done at the appropriate times?
5.) Has the bike ever been layed down? If it has, please describe in-depth what got injured - you can share what happened in the crash as well, but I'm really interested in what happened to the bike.

Please answer the q's to the best of your ability, it will help diagnose the issue.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
fantastic! Thanks for the info!

Next round:

How comfortable are you working on your own bike?

How much do you know about electrics?

Do you own a multimeter, and do you have some extra 18+ gauge wire laying around?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Tweek, I'm a bit busy this weekend, so please be patient with me. I'll look up the values for the temp sensor and we'll go from there. If you have the maintenance manual for your bike, you could look it up as well. Also, some members on the board have access to a pdf manual, so, if anybody's got the manual, please hook Tweek up. On a personal note, I've always spent the money on a maintenance manual, it's nice to have the actual book in your hand to be able to jot notes down and such.

Tweek, you gotta warm the bike up and measure the resistance of the temp sensor (right underneath the radiator filler cap). It will change as the bike warms up accordingly. Make sure it's in spec.

Next, take some wire and hook your cooling fan directly to your battery to make sure it works. Make sure to bend and wiggle the wire going to fan to see if you can find a bad connection anywhere.

I have to look at the wiring diagram to figure out where the fan switch/relay/actuation method is, and figure out how to test that. Feel free to try this on your own from the manual.

With all the components tested, the only thing left would be to test power going to the fan through the wiring harness, which will require you to get the bike hot and wait to see, with the multimeter, if the power leads energize.

Once the electrical part of the cooling system has been checked, and no problem found, the next step is to figure out if it's pressurizing appropriately. I will help as much as I can, but it's kind of difficult over the keyboard, so please bear with me. If you feel comfortable doing what I'm saying, go for it, if you think it's too much for you, the shop would be a great place to go!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.