Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...to get a 250.

This is gonna be a long read.

Okay, so I wanted a 250 for a while. And the post in the thread where I posted all my car fetishes that said something along the lines of "stop posting your cager flavor of the week and get a bike" really kinda grabbed me. Because it's right.

So I did some thinking and now I'm finding it hard to want to buy the little Ninja. I have to pay a price premium to get the new one (who wants the old ugly one), and I'm only gonna ride it for 1-2 seasons before, like other people on this board, I get bored with it and grab a 600.

I've been looking at used 600s, and I can get a good deal. I can buy one of those for as much as a new 250. At this point in time, I don't have the financial ability to buy a Ninja, and sell it after a season or two, just to purchase a bigger bike. It just makes more sense to start bigger. Tons of people do. R6 did it and he's not dead yet.

So yeah. I know all the old arguments about why I should get a 250. I'll just make it easier for you:
250R PROS:
  • Good gas milage
  • Good beginner bike - will make you a better rider
  • Very forgiving
  • Looks amazing
  • Easy to sell and trade up to a bigger bike
  • Light and maneuverable

CONS:
  • It has carborators. Come on.
  • You pay a price premium because of limited availability
  • Mirrors show you your elbows
  • Sounds kinda wimpy
  • Drives kinda wimpy (highways)
  • Could kill me
  • Will only last me 1-2 seasons before I want to move up
  • Somewhat underpowered for 2 up riding
  • Small bike
  • Less power = shorter gearing = more shifting

600 PROS:
  • I WILL ONLY HAVE TO BUY ONE BIKE
  • Better gas milage than a car
  • Good for highway riding - heavier (less wind impact), more powerful
  • Sounds incredible
  • Relatively inexpensive
  • Won't get bored with it
  • Fuel Injected
  • Enough power to take the ladies for rides
  • Less shifting required
  • More comfortable for taller people

600 CONS:
  • Could kill me. Easier than the 250
  • Heavier and a bit trickier to maneuver
  • Higher insurance
  • Bit more money for gas than the 250

So. Convince me to get a 250. I could do it, but I think a 600 makes more sense both financially and simply logically. People have learned on 600s. I know the majority of you will be against it, but humor me and try to convince me to get a 250. I'm not mocking anyone, I just want to see how dumb I am haha

Jester

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Jester, you're not dumb man, you're just weighing up the options like we've all done, or are doing...

Quite simply, the best way to figure it out, is get your license, go to 5 different dealers, test riding 20 different bikes, and buy the one that speaks to you.... If it speaks to you, you won't disrespect it, so regardless how much power, you'll be safe, and you'll keep it maintained which = safe...

AND you have an excuse to ride ALL the bikes in the store. Walk in, and say: "Well, I have my license, but I have no idea which bike I want, I'm going to have to test ride them all". Don't let the saleman bully you, and if you find a bike you want, leave, wait three days and go ride it again. If it is what you remember, buy it! Enjoy the search!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Your statement touches on something that comes up over and over on the forum and that is a good number of people view the ninja as a bike that will only satisfy them for a season or two. This will be the case for some, but not all of us. I've been riding for THIRTY YEARS ! While I would be putting myself behind the financial eightball, could buy any bike out there, for years chose to sit on the fence, unable to decide what I wanted. I relized the bikes that interested me the most were small displacement bikes that for the most part are not even available in this country , 50,125 and 250's. Then I bought a used "00" 250 and for the first time in a long while I was having fun street riding again. When I saw the new "08" I knew I had to upgrade, which is what I did and haven't regretted it yet. Trying to convice you to buy the 250 over the 600 is a waste of our time. Reason I say that is because only you know what's best for you. However I think you , ( never owned a street bike,right ? ) and alot of other people are missing some major areas that this bike has to offer. The Ninja 250 has the potenial of giving it's rider as much pleasure as a bike costing 3 or 4 times as much. Some of the things you listed in your pros and cons indicate a mindset you have already established for your riding ; highway riding, less shifting. carry a passenger and etc. These are things that the 250 honestly does not do well. For me I could care less. I do not ride on freeways, EVER. I love to row through the gears, ALWAYS. And I will not carry a passenger, NEVER. And just to put it in prespective, I also own a big Triumph and while it is a trip to ride, it doesn' t make me any happier, if that makes any sense . Don't mean to sound all preachy to ya, cause that's not what I intented. It's all about the ride. Try not to lose sight of that and you will do fine and make your own right decision. :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Jester here is my 2 cents. If I were you I would get a 600. I mean getting the 250 and riding it for a little while and selling it kinda seems pointless if you can get a 600 for around the same price as a new 250. Even if you have never rode a bike b4 a 600 is not really much different from a 250. But what I mean is between idel and like 7K both the bikes are the same. There is a small noticable difference but it is nothing really. Getting through gears are exactally how my 250 was. Its just if you drop the hammer you bolt off like a mad man. lol And cornering is almost the same you just have to work that little bit harder but nothing hard. If you can stay and ride safe and do nothing stupid on a 600 till you get used to it, you will be fine. It just seems to me like you like the 250 but all the issues with the lack of power and just the small stuff with the 250 seems to be pushing you in a different direction. So it is all how you think you will do.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Jester, I don't know your background riding a motorcycle. What have you ridden so far ? dirt bike, scooter ?
If you have absolutely never ride a bike in you're life, starting off with a 600 sport would be kinda of risky in my opinion. Like everyone knows, a 600 is less forgiving.
Also, how do you want to ride your first bike? being able to do 150 mph and leave almost everything in the dirt behind you ? if that's your goal, buy at least a 600 sport bike.

Please don't be offended by this question but how come after almost 2000 post here, you're wondering if a ninja 250 is good for you ? ???

Here's a part of an article on the ninja 250. The opinion of the motorcycle journalist says it all for me:
"When you do this job, people ask what new motorcycle you’d buy if you had to spend your own money. Nobody really wants your opinion—they just want you to say the name of whatever they’re riding—but here it is anyway: I’d buy this bike.

Since most of my disposable income is disposed of elsewhere, spending $15,000cdn on a motorcycle is just not something I would do (although I’m very happy that many of you continue to buy the fine products fairly reviewed in this magazine, because without your support I’m unemployed).

With the Ninja 250, I tore through the gearbox and bounced the engine off the rev limiter like I’d just been sprung from jail, and it is, as many small machines are, much more engaging to ride at near-legal speeds than machines three or four times the displacement. And while I don’t have a problem with skinny tires and small engines, if you’re struggling with downsizing just use this line: It’s my spouse’s machine. —Neil Graham"

Jon

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Yeah I like how you say R6 isin't dead Yet. Well if you remeber he bought a hunk of garbage first until it broke down on him. Then he bought the Yamaha.

2. I will never get on the back of a bike with anyone. Because you guys end up doing stupid stuff. I rather take my life in my own hands.

3. Horse power isin't everything.

4. Your insurance rates will BE EXTREMELY HIGH over a 250.

5. Mod's are exspensive.

6. its like if your dad went out and bought you a Formula One car as your first CAR. It's just not practical unless you have been raised in a family where you just race cars everyday.

7. You will still get blown around. 250 weighs 355 wet and a 600 weighs about 425 wet or less (a 70 pound difference).

8. Your going to do what you want, so do it.

·
The Man, The Mystery, The Itch.
4,853 Posts
Delta...fucking smart girl no shit! and #2....I agree completely, I dont trust anyone on the back or if i'm on back but i'm a guy and thats just creepy right?

Chances are you've already made up your mind, you'll probably go with the 600cc or up, people typcially do. How many 250 riders do you see compared to 600cc and above? With alot of people its an image, I honestly think people buy the 600's and up for their sound alone, not saying you do bro, but most do.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
virtualmatrix258 said:
Delta...f**king smart girl no shit! and #2....I agree completely, I dont trust anyone on the back or if i'm on back but i'm a guy and thats just creepy right?
Yes, A little creepy unless it was Felix. Then I would just think it was your honeymoon. hahaha lol (I am totaly going to get my A$$ kicked for saying that, Oh well *Puppy dog eyes*)

Jester,
Most of my friends are guys not BOYFRIENDS just friends want a 600 because all there friends will make fun of them if they buy a smaller bike. It's more of an ego thing. Just remember when your in the twisty and a 250 rides faster than you.

·
Registered
646 Posts
A 250Ninja is a very forgiving and patient teacher. I can still have all the fun I want in corners with it, And it certainly isn't a slow ride on straights.
However.. When I'm satisfied I've learned the skills I can on the Ninja I'm moving up not to a 600, But a 1000CC motorcycle. I've been riding for a year now, And the Ninja still teaches me things, And I've still got allot to learn on it and soon hope to do an advance rider course and perhaps a track day to improve my techniques further.

If a 600 is the bike for you, Make sure it's the bike for you. Not the bike for Americas shallow male youth who think the size of their engine capacity represents their skills as a rider and worth as a person.

·
The Man, The Mystery, The Itch.
4,853 Posts
geezus dude...A real eye opener. Thank you spooph I saved that in my favorites.

Two words: Super Glue hehe...sorry had to lighten the mood, that shit is nuts.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is kind of what I wanted to hear. Thanks guys. Spooph, I've seen that site before - yikes. But every time I look at it, its really sobering, even though it's the same pictures again and again and again.

With regard to what you guys mentioned about cheaper insurance on a 250, I'm not sure about that. A early 2000's 600 will probably have cheaper insurance just because it's not brand new. But I'm not really sure, I'm just throwing that out there.

I know that I should really get a 250, and I'm just debating whether or not it's a good idea.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Another thing Jester, 250's, especially the new ones, hold their value really well. If you buy a used 600 for cheap, ride it, and resell it, you probably will loose more cash, than if you get a 250, ride it, don't mod it, and then trade it in on a used 600... Besides, if you start on a motorcycling career, like everyone here has/is going to, you'll have plenty of bikes down the road. Will it really be that difficult to "live with" a 250 for 2 or 3 years? I mean, I think you're over complicating the issue. Get the 250 to start, where you know you have plenty of space to learn, and get really good at chucking the bike around (like somebody posted a video on here about), and if you decide you don't like it, make the money happen and get a bigger one. You might even find somebody who got scared of their 600 and wants to downsize or something, for a direct trade.... I don't know, lots of options. What you'll find, if you ride long enough, is that motorcyclists get addicted to bikes, and can't get enough. Within 10 years, if you stick with it, you'll probably have 5 bikes... :p But do what you want to do man.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey Jester have you checked into insurance quotes for a 600 here in canada they are insanse for a first time biker like me even though im 30 and have held a car licence for 13 years. I wanted to get a 600 ninja next year but the insurance rates are just way to high!

·
Registered
267 Posts
there are a few members on here who have "upgraded" to a 600, but they all have said that they don't regret starting on the 250R and that it was a really good decision to learn the basic skills on the ninja.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Now that 650R is a completely different story. It's a lot more livable, also a twin, and not as peaky as any 600. I'd say go for it...

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
First thing is it is impotan to look at all your ootions . Have you looked at the insurance price for a 600? You may be shocked if you need full coveeage.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts