Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 334 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes not only was it a brilliant movie, but I'm looking at heading States side this year. Its just in the idea stage at the moment, got lots of questions.

Some of the early details.

4 weeks
Budget trip (eg. no flashy hotels)
Doing it on a motorbike (enduro/adventure/dual purpose style)
By myself.

Questions

Where (looking west coast, cali area for a start, willing to do a fair bit of riding tho)
Sights?
When (time of year, it would most likley be dec/jan is this to late to be riding round there?)
Looking at buying a bike there and then selling it at the end of the trip ideas? Rental would be upwards of 4k! Shipping one there is just under 4k, thinking buying and selling would make least loss.

Comments?

Felix

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
BAD ASS!!!! Yeah if you're looking at the west coast, I'd probably suggest going in the spring/summer because depending on where in california, it'll be iffy weather. Sights? Really nothing "American" over there....we got the statue of liberty (which i went ot see over new years) and idk nyc in general here - that's really cool. Ive never been out west that far - farthest is colorado a couple summers ago.

I'd suggest seeing the grand canyon (ehh it's a ditch but its a big ditch so what the hell) and the golden gate bridge ahs always seemed cool. To be honest it doesn't seem liek there's anything too special out there. but i wouldn't know wait for people in that area to respond.

About your plan for obtaining a bike, that seems a little risky. What if you can't sell the bike? Whatever you decide to do make sure you reserve it WAY in advance so you dont get screwed over.

Keep us updated with plans :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
I like the idea of buying a bike and then re-selling when the time comes to leave. I'd try to set it up with a more well-known member on this board, and if it comes down to it leave the bike with them and ask them to sell it for you... I'd do that for ya if I was on the left coast still. :)

Cali's beautiful man... I'd get on the PCH and ride the whole thing. Start down in San Diego, head north and stop wherever you want.. Definitely hit the Redwood National Forest, that's a damn beautiful place. I've never been as far north as San Francisco (OK, so I've been up through Utah... But not in California), but riding through that hilly terrain would be a trip to say the least! I'd shy away from Los Angeles personally.. It's really congested ALL the time, and there isn't a whole lot to see (other than the Sunset strip.. bleh). You've gotta hit up the beaches, and I think riding along the PCH would be ideal for that!! Big Bear Mountain, Lake Tahoe, the town of Baker (the worlds largest thermometer at Bun Boy, and the Belgian Waffles there are killer!! And the restaurant The Mad Greek, best freakin shakes EVER!) which could very easily be on your way to Vegas, if you want to pass through Pahrump. Plus, if you get a dual sport and wanna venture off-road, roll through Baker and head out to Dumont Dunes. The off-road season kicks off on Halloween, so if you go out before that you'll pretty much have the dunes to yourself (It'll be sweaty-balls hot though)! If you wanna ride on the beaches, hit up Pismo Dunes, and of course... If you start out in San Diego, head another hour south and hit Glamis!! Best dunes short of the Sahara! :) (No, I don't really know that for a fact, but they're badass)

If you like theme parks, hit up Disneyland. If you like shit-your-pants rollercoasters, hit up Knott's Berry Farm. If you want a water park, go to Raging Waters!

Head North to San Fran, then East to Las Vegas (it's back south-east from there, but whatever). Vegas would be awesome on a bike! Hit up Pahrump if you want some legal fireworks and prostitution... I'm warning you now about Vegas though. Either go during the winter (our winter that is), or risk MASSIVE traffic jams during the summer (at night at least.. Everyone in Vegas is nocturnal man, the streets are barren during the day).

I don't know what to suggest to you as far as best time of year... No matter when you come here, you'll have good enough weather that you can ride whenever. Winter's in Cali get pretty cold (like down into the 40's at night), but the daytime highs are still 60-70*. Summer... Well, it's more like what you're used to. Highs flirting with 100 inland, and down south towards Mexico and getting closer to Death Valley and Vegas, you'll be seeing 110-120*.

I'd personally try to come in the fall... It's gorgeous. I was just back out in Cali for my cousins wedding in September, and we were at 95-100* all week long, and the lows never got below 70... Beutiful riding weather, and the days are still plenty long! Anything later than October and the rain's more frequent (still pretty sparce..), winds tend to pick up a bit (mountain riding should be fun.. haha), and your days are gonna be shortened quite a bit.

Alright, I know I'm forgetting some stuff... But I'll tell you some other cool stuff as I remember. ;)

One extra bit of advice; Stay on the left coast. The more Eastern you get, the less hilly (past the Rockies I mean), more flat, open plains... And hill billy. California, Nevada, Utah (which is GORGEOUS!), Oregon, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico... That's about the extent you'll wanna see. Stuff starts to get more dreary weather-wise beyond that.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
ah Washington ... you forgot that. Cascade mountains, rain forests, Deception Pass. August is really warm!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I got one question...does having the term "credit" the same thing in Aus as in the US?? If not how are you planning to get a bike here?? Just thinking about if you were getting a loan or do you have enough cash stashed right now to where you could buy one.

·
Registered
192 Posts
felix

Looking at buying a bike there and then selling it at the end of the trip ideas? Rental would be upwards of 4k! Shipping one there is just under 4k, thinking buying and selling would make least loss.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Oh, haha. I didnt see that part. Im not sure how accurate that is. There is a place near Seattle that rents bikes, most all brands, for 300 a week. I got a buddy who rented one for a month just to see if it was something he wanted to get into. Cost him about 1200 bucks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
well if u cant get a bike for a decent price theres a place near downtown seattle that rents scooters...

haha Im just kidding.

if u make ur way down to san diego, ill cruise with u up the 101

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks people, some GREAT advice! Its all still in the planning stages like I said, but I'm VERY keen.

Some of those places sound great, looking for great riding and looking roads, mountains, camping etc.

The first couple of rental places I looked at were for bmw dual purpose bikes, and they were 08's... hence the price. Buying a bike upfront will require more saved dollars first but might work out cheaper once I can sell it.

The only other place/thing I would love to see is Speed Week, UTAH!

I would defintaly be up for some Road trips, Newninja meets :D Even if i wont be on a ninja. Thanks stockwall for the offer, hope your mrs can cook :p

Felix

·
The Man, The Mystery, The Itch.
4,853 Posts
I'm lost for words! Felix coming to America! I've only lived in 3 states along the gulf coast and east coast so I have no idea whats going on along the west coast.

Wouldnt that be some shit though, sitting in a bar and Felix sits next to you. You have a conversation for awhile and not even know who he is heh. I guess if he mentions blue balls I'd know who he was lol.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
That would be awesome Felix. If you come through Arizona, you're welcome to stay at my place. I know some really great places to ride (89A is a windy, hilly road that is AWESOME!), and the pavilions is always full of bikes, especially in the summer. I think buying/selling would be a great idea, considering you find (older) 250s anywhere from 1000-2500 bucks all day on craigslist. I could find a decent running bike for you if you'd like.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hah, Queens is a bit west coast for this trip. Next time.

Arizona sounds good tho Red, I'd be down with that. Bikes I'm looking at are more down the endruo/adventure/dual-purpose. I want to hit some trails and mountain tracks to. I'd be keen to meet anyone, locals can always show you some little secret spot.

Hey Virt, reckon we could meet somewhere for a beer hey? Wonder if I could get a ticket that goes home via Daytona Beach.

Felix

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I'll have my Eliminator re-assembled and tweaked by then, and will probably be off to Antarctica... You're welcome to stop by and ride it for your stay if you fly into Denver. I don't care about mileage...

1 - 20 of 334 Posts