Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike was left on rear stand. I found clear fluid on front tire and ground beneath it. Couldn't find a source. My searches told me possible clear fluid leaks are from the brakes and the battery. The brake fluid reservoir at front of bike and rear are still topped off. I have no idea how clear fluid from the battery can end up at the front of the bike. Can someone tell me what it is and if it's safe to go riding? Thanks again.

· Registered
5,699 Posts
what did it smell and taste like? I'm not sure it came from your bike.... When tasting, be VERY careful... IF it's brake fluid, it is TOXIC, but a little bit isn't gonna hurt you.. How will you know that it's brake fluid? You're want to scrape the top layer of all surfaces from your mouth, it tastes horrible!

· Registered
674 Posts
Brake fluid would be my first guess, based on the fact that the puddle is only directly under the tire. If brake fluid did run down, you would see a puddle of it on the rim and a line down the tire to the floor as well. If the front master cylinder is full, and the brake lever is firm, it's not brake fluid.

Check the coolant and oil levels also (should be done regularly anyway) just to confirm it's neither of those.

As spooph noted - what does it feel/look/smell like?

Seems more like it could be just something that was on the floor to me.

Jay

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's happened twice. Both times the bike was on the rear stand only. I just checked it again. The bike has been on it's kickstand so there wasn't anything to taste. The coolant and oil levels are fine. The brakes are still working and the level up front doesn't show any noticeable change. Thanks again everyone. Do you think it'd be safe to ride?

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it hasn't happened at all since then. it has only happened if i leave the bike on the rear stand only. if i leave it on the kickstand or on front and rear then there is nothing to taste. i'm not really sure what to look at or how to describe things when you ask how the seals and bottom of forks look. i can take pics if that would answer the question but there's no more fluid if i dont keep it on the rear stand only. as long as it's safe to ride i'm happy with that. if anyone thinks it might be unsafe i can keep it on the rear stand to investigate it further. thanks again.

· Registered
5,699 Posts
While it's on the rear stand, hold the front brake, and push all of your weight onto the front of the bike, quickly, then let off, and do it again, compressing the forks as much as you can, for a solid 20 seconds, maybe 8 reps total? And see if you can any fluids oozing from anywhere around the bottom of the forks...

· Registered
674 Posts
While it's on the rear stand, hold the front brake, and push all of your weight onto the front of the bike, quickly, then let off, and do it again, compressing the forks as much as you can, for a solid 20 seconds, maybe 8 reps total? And see if you can any fluids oozing from anywhere around the bottom of the forks...
That would be a good test.

Wipe everything clean on the forks first and watch for any oil to appear around the seals or on the upper tubes. Look closely at the bottom of the forks too.

It could be possible that everything that was in there has drained out by now as well.

Do the forks feel bouncy and easy to move? If the fork oil was completely out the forks would not have any damping, and would want to continue to bounce. They would also move easier because you are flowing air instead of oil through the orifices in the forks.

Jay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.