Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Alright, I'm going to seem like a total n00b here, but my ego can take it. What is the best way to go about cleaning and lubing the chain? I've only had the bike a few weeks so I've never done this before.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
i dont mean this to sound sarcastic or anything, but make sure you get chain cleaner and proper chain lube!

also make sure you dont clean the chain with ethanol or anything because it will ruin the rubber seals in the chain.

Clean the chain well (using a cloth) to the guidelines on the chain cleaner.

then apply a bit of chain lube (not too much that it drips off)

leave for a bit to settle on the chain (i usually do it when iput my bike away and leave it over night)

do this every 300-400 miles depending on the chain lube.

the key is to apply lube to a clean chain

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
This is a pretty good resource: YouTube - 08 Ninja 250 Chain Adjust Clean Lube

Met's got a lot of good points as well.

Personally I only lube the chain when it needs it, when I start to feel it getting rough, it squeaks or pulses.... Maybe every 600mi, and after every rain/snow....

I try and always work on a warm chain, cleaning it with a Grunge brush and WD40, adjusting it proper, and then riding it for a solid 10 miles to immediately put it up on the stand and shoot a light coat of Belray Lithium chain lube on the inside of the chain. Two things will happen, the chain lube should bubble and get sucked into the crevices of the chain, and the chain will become absolutely quiet. If it's running with the rear on the stand, it also won't oscillate at all... Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts