Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chemicals discussions can quickly turn into a flamewar, but it's still a topic that's worth starting.

From personal experience, I can say that 2 things I swear by are:

Seafoam Motor Treatment - pretty much the only fuel additive you'll ever need. I've used it to keep the carbs in my 82 Seca spotless. It'll remove just about any amount of varnish build up, even in things that have been sitting for years.

Lucas Oil Stabilizer - Also used in my Seca, in a 10% mix, as recommended. I've noticed that it starts easier, since the oil doesn't drain off the cylinder walls as fast. Preventing dry starts is it's main use, but it made the trans shift better too. I'm using the non-synthetic since I have dino oil in the Seca now, but in the 250 when I switch it to synthetic, I'll use the synthetic version.

For the outside of the bike, I've been using Blue Magic metal polish, and I've been very impressed with how it shines up 26 year-old chrome.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Polydyn Tx-7 is the only additive I would ever use in your oil system as long as you don't have a wet clutch. I've just seen too much BS being in the performance business over the years, and this one product that does what it claims. I've seen oil analysis tests, I know several guys with very nice engine dynos, including one of the engine builders for nascar, and you can see the results on the dyno. I've also built enough engines and torn them down to see amazing results.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Ohh yeah...All kindas shit that you can add, most of it doesnt work though. I like the lucas, but not in a new engine. The clearances are right where they should be, and lucas is basically just really thick oil, i'm sure it doesnt like going through the bearings. I have used it in older worn out engines, and its seems to smooth them out. The TX7 turblown is talking about is awesome. Its so damn slippery, and it soaks deep into the microscopic pores of the metal. I put some on my fingers and even after washing my hands several times they felt slippery for days. Unfortunately, it would be too slippery for a bike with a wet clutch.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Man, how many time do I gotta say this.......just because it is premium and cost more doesnt mean it is "the good stuff". Our bikes were designed to use 87 octane. If you really wanna get "the good stuff", then go and find the gas stations with the approval stickers that have high ratings. Ill take a pic next time I am at the gas station and post it so everyone knows what to look for.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
That im not sure about. Maybe Turblown or Red would know on that one. I would say no. Mainly because it is just doing the same thing as high octane, just without the cleaners. I would use high octane over octane boosters. Just me though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Basically, in an electronic ignition system with a knock sensor, running higher that recommended octane fuel can result in better performance & mileage. Since the higher octane can handle more spark advance before knock is detected, the computer can advance the timing a lot more than it can with lower octane.

This is why if you get a bad tank of gas, performance is way down. The knocks come early and often and the computer retards the spark down to special-ed levels.

I would assume that the carb 250 isn't running a knock sensor/O2 sensor system, boosting the octane won't help much, unless you're hearing pinging.

But I could be wrong on that, since I still don't have 250 yet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
DanJohns21 said:
ok ok. SORY!> jerk hha. ughh one more thing. octane boosters? no? haha
Octane boosters are mainly a joke. They will raise octane by 1/10 of a point.

You want to run the lowest octane grade possible without pinging or detonating. As said you only gain power by retuning for higher octane grades.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Turblown said:
DanJohns21 said:
ok ok. SORY!> jerk hha. ughh one more thing. octane boosters? no? haha
Octane boosters are mainly a joke. They will raise octane by .1 points.

You want to run the lowest octane grade possible without pining or detonating. As said you only gain power by retuning for higher octane grades.
See, I knew he would have the answer. haha

1 - 20 of 29 Posts