Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not sure about all this electrical crap. But I just took my faring off becasue I wanted to see how much it would be just to paint that side. And I noticed there is kind of like a clip thing that connects the wires together. I wanted to get flush mount signals and I was wondering would it still work if I just cut the female part off and used wire clamps to connect the wires together?? I remember somebody saying if you were going to change to led front turn signals you need some kind of transfer box or w.e. I guessing thats the male part to the female part. Any help?? thanks
Drew

·
Registered
30 Posts
if you change to LED signals you need to put a resistor in the wire line. LEDs take so little power that the computer recognizes them as being broken. so a resistor makes them take enough electricity to make the computer think they are bulbs. as for what resistor and how to put them on, i have no idea.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well dont wanna mess anything with that lol Anybody have stock front turn signals I could buy?? lol Just leave a message or pm me.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
it's easy to figure out.
Connect an Ohm meter to the stock turn signal's two contacts (at the plug), and the same with the LED turn signals.
Subtract LED value from stock.
Go to Radio Shack or some electronics parts store (Mouser electronics is a good mail-order), and find a resistor with the value you calculated. Put it on the positive wire.

And do yourself a favor - go to the dealer and order an extra set of (male?) plugs, and wire them into the flush mounts so that it's just as easy as a bike in stock form, to take off the fairings for maintenance work, etc... Besides, it's looks pro, and won't effect the dealer's attitude towards you, nor the re-sale value (and if a person wants to talk you down for it, slap 'em in the face and walk away).

·
Registered
277 Posts
Don't buy resistors... Just buy a timed blinker relay. I bought mine from eBay for $20 shipped, and it does exactly what it says, it's timed instead of based on the load. It's much easier to use, just plug it in and it will blink at the DOT approved rate for anything between a single small LED, up to like a full set of headlights... It doesn't care the what load the system has.

You have to look on eBay for the timed relay, and there were two by the guy that I bought mine from, and the B and L prongs are switched. Our relay labels which one is B and which one is L, all you have to do is match it up.

Best and easiest option you have. You want you bike to ue less power to control the lights, not use the same amount! Buy a timed one and use as little power as you have to. Plus, the stupid resistors get ridiculously HOT, so if you're stuck at a light for a while and using your blinker, or if you do a lot of city riding, it'd probably be bad, mmmkay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250344653914&viewitem=

That's the actual one I bought, but just do a search for "two pin blinker relay" and do a bit of research. Vled's sold mine, and I've done business with them before and would recommend them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts