Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there just bought a 2008 ninja 250 with only 48 miles

need to change oil anyone know the whieght i should use

also i hear that using full synthetic will hur the bike is that true any advice will do..thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
The manual calls for 10w40. I've used Mobil One 4T racing oil since after break-in, and I've had no problems. O yeah, it's full synthetic.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Hey there JV, your manual should tell you what oil to use, I can't remember what one I used last time. Stick with standard motorcycle oil(don't use car oil, it's not the same) and use the best suited oil weight for your conditions.

As for going to full synthetic, yes, from what I have seen and heard, going full can be detrimental to the engine, especially is you change too early. My 2008 ninja had about 12000kms on it when I changed to semi-synth and that was a huge difference. Everything is a lot smoother, and less clunky, but it is still not recommended to change over to too early.

Have fun and let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
10w40!

I currently use the Kawasaki brand oil (not made by kawi) Its cheap about $20 bucks for a gallon, that will last you two oil changes.

As for going full synthetic I wouldn't do that until 3,000 miles at the earliest. IMO

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've got about 11,000 miles on my 09, and I've used the full syn with no adverse affects since 2500 miles. If u r not sure about semi/full syn, regular dino juice is good.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I've been on Kawi 10-40 for the life of the bike. I do oil changes every 2K. I see no merits in going synthetic, unless you hate doing oil changes, in which case, I'd personally worry about the oil going bad over a winter or something like that. Then again, I like to baby my baby. If it were a race bike, and you counted on every little HP, then synthetic would free up some, but otherwise I think it's just another way to get money out of you....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts