Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I make chainmaille, shirts, coifs, jewelry etc, & was wanting to work in some stainless steel chainmaille onto my black Ninja 250, any places on the bike that come to mind? I'm thinking about wrapping my helmet in it, Matte Black Bell RS-1. Let me know what you think.

· Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Got any pics of your work Scott? I have an idea of what you are talking about, but would like to see exactly what you have in mind.
I'm thinking this will add a lot of weight, especially in relation to your head if you do the helmet.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll get some pics up, the pattern will be stainless Euro 4-1, the same used in armor, if you want to look that up in the meantime. As to the helmet weight I could go titanium or aluminum to offset the weight. Those were some of the places I was thinking. I still have to make the chain, I make my own rings & weave it, then there's the question of actually attaching it to the bike.

· Premium Member
4,253 Posts
I'm assuming you can ensure the chainmaille will not rattle/shake etc while on the bike? I really like the idea of this for a show bike, but as an everyday ride, that could certainly become annoying.
Also, is there a chance of this scratching the paint?
This is starting to sound extremely interesting!

· Registered
30 Posts
I would imagine it could be glued or bolted to the inside of the fairings.
I would maybe set the chain in place and spray it with an adhesive so that the links stick together.
Might keep from rattling like a sack of coins.
Above the rear tire would be a neat place too, especially If you have some LED bars behind it, I think it would look rad

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can tighten the weave with various diameter rings but might be better to wrap something. I'm thinking an epoxy. Going to be a major investment of time, might start with the side fairings vents & tire hugger & helmet. I think the stainless on black would pop. Would be interesting if I could have separate fairings then I would wrap the whole thing, that would be crazy, sure would be nifty though. Would add a significant amount of weight to the bike however, a shirt weighs in @ around 25lbs+.

· Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Yeah, that will both affect the power of the bike as well as place extra strain on the suspension.
There is a calculator somewher on line tha shows how so much weight removed = a certain amount of Theoretical HP gained on power to weight, but this would be the reverse.
Something to think about anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.