Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated in the title, I'm looking for recommendation on a cleaning solvent to give my zx6r chain a like new look. I already have the lubrication and ordered the grunge brush. Your recommendation will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blue Ghost said:
What lube do you have? Most companies that make motorcycle lube, make the cleaner too. Depending on which you you use, it can also clean as well, providing your chain is not terribly dirty.
Don't remember the brand name since I'm not home at the moment to check. But I bought it in Italy, so its a Italian brand. I guess I'll go back to the shop and is if they have a cleaner from the same brand.

·
Registered
347 Posts
to give you an example of it, I had found a bunch of snap on sockets at work (a shop) that had been sitting in a rusty bucket for OVER EIGHT YEARS..

soaked them in kerosene over night, and 16 hours later I drained the bag, rinsed with mineral spirits and as I scrubbed, a bunch of worthless CRV became a three hundred dollar high end socket set again..

what I'm getting at, is:

where kerosene won't hurt it, it sure as hell will help it

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
absolutely not. it is recommended. it is a petroleum based product. Diesel fuel is ok also. I used gas with a bit of gear oil mixed in. I ran out of kero. Then i let it dry. Them brushed on some synthetic gear oil to let soak in for a hour n drip off. Ran a rag under the chain to remove any extra. Took it for a short ride..... Then sprayed with Bel-Ray Super clean. Then spray every aprx. 300 miles as needed. more often if rainy. I try to clean it every 1000-1500 miles depending on how it looks.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
80w-90 gear oil. Gear oil makes a good cleaner as well as lube. It's cheap and a little bit goes a long way, but can be a little messy to use. A lot of wiping involved and flings like crazy if not dried good. I use it to get the chain as clean as possible, then seal it with either Maxima Chain Wax or DuPont Teflon Multi-use Dry Wax Lubricant (now called Chain Saver).

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
80w-90 gear oil. Gear oil makes a good cleaner as well as lube. It's cheap and a little bit goes a long way, but can be a little messy to use. A lot of wiping involved and flings like crazy if not dried good. I use it to get the chain as clean as possible, then seal it with either Maxima Chain Wax or DuPont Teflon Multi-use Dry Wax Lubricant (now called Chain Saver).
sounds better than a solvent,using a lubricating substance to clean a chain:thumb:

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
Kero....easiest....all the dirt runs right off with a grungebrush n a cheapo paintbrush...:thumb::thumb:
I put a cheapo cakepan under where i'm cleaning to catch most of it as I go to reuse as I go...:thumb::thumb:
Last time around just use clean kero....:thumb::thumb:
let drip n dry...maybe wipe a bit with a rag if needed...usualy the rim will need to be wiped off.....I'm messy....LOL..:facepalm::facepalm:
...Lube ur chain.......Ride man ride......:thumb::thumb::thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.