Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sprockets and chain are worn OUT... NO mas para estos. Siempre finito...

So, do I buy a JT sprockets and chain replacement for around $130

Or, do I buy a Sidewinder Sprocket TI II with lifetime guarantee, and never have to buy another sprocket/chain again, for almost $400?

http://sidewindersprockets.com/titaniumII-sprockets.html

mmmm, let's do that math.

I can get, it seems about 13,000 reliable miles out of a JT sprockets set, which means, I'd have to travel another 40,000 miles, for a total of 53,000 miles before these sprockets paid for themselves. Which, according to my last year, at 16,000 miles in a year, would be 3.3 years....

So, here are the factors:

-$130 for a new set of chain and sprockets/10 months. Which means all the labor and cost of yanking the rear wheel and such forth to replace.

-$400 for a full set of sidewinder sprockets/ Lifetime. No needing to get back in there and replace everything.

-I want to change from the stock gear ration of 14/45, to 15/44. Up one in the front and one down in the back. I also want to go to a 428 instead of a 520 chain - save weight, rotational mass, etc. If I don't like the combo, I'll be stuck with $400 of sprockets that I don't like....

-JT sprockets don't come in those ratios at 428.... But Sidewinders do.

Maybe I should try my ratios with the cheap JT sprockets at 520, and once I know I like them, buy the Sidewinders for the rest of the bike's life, eh?

What do you guys think I should do?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, after looking at my chain, and realizing it will not last long at all before it starts jumping teeth, I decided to go with the JT sprockets for now, to figure out if this is the ratio I want. When I replace this set, I'll hopefully be going to the sidewinders....

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so the UPS facility that recieved my sprockets and chain yesterday exploded.... Oh man, I hope everybody is OK, but more importantly, that I get my new parts soon, otherwise my chain is gonna break.... I think I'm gonna turn the sprockets around tonight so that they can wear on the other side and see how that goes until the new ones arrive...

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no idea Hi-Tech. I had to wait through like 3 operators to find out the place caught fire, they all tried to give me some BS around the main issue. Tracking says the package is back on schedule for delivery...

In other news: I'm selling my pick-em-up-truck, and I finally got my Eliminator to idle at 1,100 Rpm's today, not 4-6K like it was doing. It's almost done, and then I can start working on the Ninjette again... I got another sweet bike to show you cats too..

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Zartan, I'm gonna have to say it's a secret for now. I will post pics as soon as I can. I will however drop a few hints. It's not a sport bike, it's not a dirtbike, and it's not a cruzer. A certain actor that got beaten within an inch of his life on the docks of LA, while pursuing his acting career, starred in a movie of three, the title of which would most certainly describe this bike most wonderfully. I fear I have said too much already.... :p

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I need at least 3 guesses first, so I can gauge your general trivia knowledge, and that way will know how to structure the bike's hints...

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
not very sportsman like spooph!! What about those not from your side of the world! give us a chance!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Terminator? Wild Hogs? Biker Boyz?

Three guesses, now spill it.

Is it a motard?

One of the guys I went on the ride with this weekend said his lap time on our local track dropped by 3 seconds on a 690 KTM compared to his R1.. haha.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Would have to be a Vesper!!!!!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
zandit, the actor I'm speaking of was originally from your continent, and Travisty, you're guess it definitely close than you think, but at the same time not. I'll take pics tomorrow and post, if I come back from my Eliminator test ride... :p main jets went from 90's to 152's so far, and i think I'm still a little lean...

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
biker boys jet bike, or nitrous

1 - 20 of 24 Posts