Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm curious what everyone thinks. I love my '08 250 but even after having it for only about 6 months now I keep thinking I would love to upgrade and go for something bigger already. I've been looking at all the options in the 600 class of sport bike and I've pretty much come down to either a Honda CBR or a Kawasaki ZX-6r. I like the looks of both a lot. Not to be a traitor because I know this is a Ninja 250 site, but I'm just curious about what you all might think about the two bikes and which one you would go with if you had to choose. If I got the Honda I'd go with red/black, and if I would go with the Kawasaki I'd probably have to get the all black one. Has anyone else thought they might like to upgrade yet? The insurance is about triple when you upgrade but I'm thinking it would be worth it if I can afford it. What do you all think? Any thoughts, suggestions, or questions are welcomed. I'm curious what everyone would have to say about this. Thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ya I also go with the CBR. I already found the 07 CBR I am going to get hopefully by the end of the month. I was between the CBR, ZX-6R, and gixer. I went with the CBR because it was just cleaner looking. Its more slim, as in the front farings and the seat is bigger. But if I was you, I would find someone you know that has one or the other and take a small ride on it so you can feel it out. I have sat on both bikes and when I sat on the CBR it just seemed to fit me better. The ZX-6R's handel bars seemed to far away from the seat. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well to be honest even before I ever thought about learning to ride a motorcycle I've seen CBR's around ad have always thought they looked sweet. Then I bought the 250 last year because it's an amazing starter bike and a great price. I then was curious what bikes Kawasaki made and loved the look of the new ZX-6r's for '09. They looked the most comparable to a CBR. Then I thought I better check out the Suzuki and the Yamaha and I just didn't really care for the look or the feel of either of those as much as I like the others. The Suzuki does have a pretty cool feature that allows you to switch it into three different modes that make is not as fast in case you're still kind of learning and don't want the full power it can offer right away. That wasn't enough to sway my like for the other two bikes though. So anyway, I am thinking that whatever I get I might want to have it lowered an inch if not two inches. I'm not sure about that yet though. This is all if I can even get my 250 sold at a decent price here locally and can afford an upgrade in this crappy economy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input weth56. See, I haven't had a chance to sit on a 6r yet. The dealership had a 10r but I know that's a little different. Which of the two would you say has the handle bars lower or higher. You mentioned them being further away..... so are they lower as a result? I do like the look of the 6r because it looks a little more beefy. The CBR is skinnier. What else do you like better about the CBR in comparison?

G

·
I recently read a review of five supersport 600's. At motorcycle.com 2008 supersport shootout. honda triumph suzuki yamaha kawasaki were evaluated by racers. The cbr was on average of pro's and con's the best. They went into technical details which I liked. I was impressed.
Sleepy

·
Registered
132 Posts
i think cbr has a really good look, and i believe it's the lightest of all japanese brand (by 10 pounds or so...??? idk...). i'm not sure what the deal is, but i noticed zx6r is way cheaper than cbr, new or used. i tried the cbr, i think it's pretty easy to rip around.

i was thinking of upgrading too...but after i tried the bike, i know i'd get my license suspended one day...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah.. I watched a 2009 shootout video on YouTube yesterday and they actually found that the CBR was now the slowest of the bunch. They thought it might have been because they were testing the new ABS CBR against them all. The ABS adds a little bit of weight to it so they thought that might have been why. I'm thinking though that the ABS would be a good thing if you mostly ride your bike on the road. Most people that have a sport bike never even take it to a track. So I'm not too worried about their track results. Any of those bikes are way faster than anyone ever needs to go on the road anyway. You kind of have to pick a bike for other reasons once you realize that. Any other thoughts anyone has for why they'd be impressed with either of them?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ccy...what do you mean the 6r is way cheaper than the CBR new or used? They two bikes new are the same price unless you decide to spend $1000 more to get ABS added to the CBR. So you've riden a CBR? What year was it and what all did you like about it compared to your 250 other than speed?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Roadrunner I would say that the ZX-6R's handel bars were lower. Maybe because it was pushed out further. But im 6'0" and I could fall asleep on the CBR. Plus I just like that it looks slimmer then the ZX-6R.

And where did you guys see about the CBR was slower. Everything I have read said the CBR stomped all other 600 class?? I was told by a guy that has a gsxr 600 and CBR 600 and he said he could do circles around the gsxr. Idk just everything I had read or heard about.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow.. I have one question. Why would this guy have two 600 class bikes? He must just have more money than he knows what to do with. Personally if I had both bikes and was able to tell people that the CBR blew the GSX away I'd just get rid of the GSX and either put more money into my CBR or maybe get a nice cruizer bike of some sort. Anyway, I went back and found that website I was talking about from yesterday. Here is the link....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdfnuhWB_RA&feature=channel

Let me know what you guys think once you've heard what this guy has to say about each bike.

·
Registered
132 Posts
roadrunner...i don't know about the states...i live in canada
msrp of both bike brand new are more or less the same...but i seem to always find a promotion on the zx6r...and if you're buying last year or 2007 models, you can save a lot more than the cbr for some reason..idk y tho...

·
Registered
633 Posts
im gonna tell you the new zx6r for 09 is the shit the best bike out right now for sure! but also the cbr everyone thats had the bike has loved it no complains.... get a yamaha hahaha jk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Daytona came out top from the test, what make you stop consider that? (Just curious, we have all the 4 bikes in Malaysia but not Triumph. No idea why.) ??? ??? ???

·
Registered
646 Posts
I still digging an '07 ZX6R with two bros exhaust kit. But heck, All of the 600's are nice. Find the one you like man, Don't take the shootouts into too much consideration because chances are it'll never really factor in anyway.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah... I'm kind of starting to think the shootouts really don't matter. How often am I really going to be out on a race track or even on the street for the matter, going up against other friends with 600's and trying to race all the time. No matter what 600 you get it's going to be way faster than an human being should ever be going on 2 wheels anyway. I just want one for the extra power whenever I want it to be there. Also, there are so many things to consider too. You can add new full exhaust and do lots of other things to give your bike more hp over stock anyway. The reason I've never considered a Daytona is because I've never had a chance to be around one at all. They don't sell them anywhere close to here. I've got a Kawasaki Dealer a half hour away from here and a Honda dealer a little over an hour away. It looks like for this year the ZX-6R is the bike to beat but they haven't changed the CBR at all in the last 3 years and it's come out on top all the other times. I'm sure it's still amazing and very solid. Do any of you have any friends with one and have any recommendations on new exhausts for either one of them. I have no real way of knowing what kind of exhaust I would get if I ever did upgrade.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
R6S_2NR said:
im gonna tell you the new zx6r for 09 is the shit the best bike out right now for sure! but also the cbr everyone thats had the bike has loved it no complains.... get a yamaha hahaha jk
Hey R6-s.. I was curious how much you pay for insurance sense you're only 22 and have a 600. If you could buy any other brand other than what you got what would it be?

·
Registered
633 Posts
i pay a little over 700 bucks a year and i pay 24 bucks a month for health insurnace incase i break a bone or my whole body hahaha bike does not have gap insurance but its full cover. and if i where to get a bike would have to be the daytona 675 turlly gets my d*** hard! hahaa no but really rode one and its amazing its lighter then my bike which is way hard to believe my r6s is the lightest of all the 600cc bikes and its got some awesome power but very rider friendly too, its more compact then my r6s but i can live with it. i also rode a r1 and i dont like it the seat is so narrow and hard the tank is so small, i like wide tanks, but the power is insane fells like its instant so awesome but 1 lt bike is too much for the streets i love the 600 light easy to live with and cheaper!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wow.. that's less than I would have expected for your age. You must have a lower comprehensive and collision and are maybe on with your parents? I'm 27 with a totally clean record and have gone through the MSF and I got quoted 900 for the first year for a new CBR600. Hopefully I can shop around a bit and get them down lower if I decide to buy one. I've been told that if you make it through your first year with no problems it drops quite a bit the next year. Have you ridden any of your friend's cbr's. I'm curious what you think of the seat comfort and hight compared to your bike.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts