Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a video of a zx14 with a car tire. The bike is used for drag racing and Land speed racing. The guy that built it know what he is doing .
He says he is going through the turns a twice the posted speed limit . He says it is not the right set up for turns but wanted to make the video to see what kind of lean angle and side wall flex he gets.

Dark Side road test on a ZX-14

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Interesting video. Nice contact patch area in the straights. A definite plus for drag performance. Corners seem a little shy of contact though. I wonder if he went with a little wider tire a less air how it would do in the corners then. It seems car tire sidewalls will do the same as bike tires when put on a smaller rims. ( pinch the sidewall in and roll up the tread slightly) What do you think X?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Very interesting. Do you know specs on the tire X? What I'm mainly interested in the "ratio" number, the sidewall height percentage thingy.... I wonder if a low-profile would be better for better for drag racing, almost certain it would be worse for cornering. Very cool!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will find out if I can . My feeling is that bikes with more than 500 hp run a motorcycle tire and have have set the fastest speed records in a number of venues . They all use motorcycle tires . But that said if everyone did the same thing all the time no one would get anywhere.

It goes like this with new ideas . First people scoff and laugh at it . Then are veimitly apposed and ridicule it . then accept it as self evident .

Personally I don't like the drag from the contact patch and the risk vs reward is to low for me . But it is interesting . That is why i posted it.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think the weight of the bike can compare to a car . And if you look you can see sparks from dragging the header. This bike will not see many turns.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Interesting vid... kinda hair-raising too.

I had a customer in Tucson, back in the 80s, who ran a bias-belted car tire, on the back of his Kawasaki 450. He used to preach to me, all about the evils of round tires. :rolleyes:

Nut Job, he was...

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
wow, holy zombie thread batman! You know, Robert Edison Fulton Jr. ran automotive tires on his bike back in 1924 for his trip around the world...

·
Registered
732 Posts
I was waiting to see the bike wash out in a sharp turn.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Its really a crazy thing ...Till know i heard many riders mounting car tires on their motorcycles but i was thinking it is something fake news..But this video shows it can really possible.. I definitely wouldn't do it even if there is comparable sized car tire.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is a funny thing. The guy that made the video is a drag bike racer. He has a big squair slick on his drag bike and goes like 200 in a 1/4 mile. So when he was having problems spinning his tire at mid track doing land speed racing he went with this set up. He made the video to show he could turn on a car tire. Everyone said they where not conserned that he would crash .They said he would not go faster. They where right and he nolonger runs the car tire.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts