Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My concern is that , if i change my back tire to a 150/60/17, and keep the original tire on the front, will there be trouble with the two different rubber compounds and or the tire treads being different. Should i then try to match manufacturers i.e. stay with a dunlop brand on the rear......?????? Any advice ??????Thanks.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
It is generally thought that mixing manufacturers, and changing one tire without the other is less than ideal. Manufacturers design a front/rear combination to work together and get you the optimum grip, in the conditions the tires are designed for (track, street, touring, rain, etc). It really depends on how aggressive your riding style is. I personally replace a tire when it gets worn, and I mix manufacturers. I replaced my rear stock Dunlop at 8,000 miles with an Avon Roadrunner. I then replaced my front stock Dunlop at 13,000 miles with an Avon Roadrunner. I also ride with the knowledge that the front and the back tire aren't "matched", so I ride more carefully.

On the other hand, you're really messing with tire design by going up 20mm in rear tire size, which negates everything I've said above. Therefor, since you're changing your geometry anyway by going to the bigger rear tire, I don't think the other factors of matching front/rear is going to be as apparent as the much different handling characteristics of a 150 in the rear. So I would say, in your case, you don't need to worry about it...

Let us know how that 150 works out.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Listen to spooph.Good detail.
I have mention many times that a std 130 tire on the rear 3.5" rim IS a perfect fit.But +1 oversize is still in the tolarance(front tire is +1).Means the biggest SAFE tire size on std rim is 140.Putting on 150 will not benefit anything.More or less it will reduce the handling performance.The side wall will be sqeezed in so much that the cut section of the tire is oval.You want the section to be round for good stability and 140 is next to round.
With sqeezed 150 the width of the tire is the same as a 140.This is just a suggestion.

This is a 140/70-17 BATTLAX 039 on std rim.This pic of a friend's bike was taken 2 days go.Look how wide and round it is.The side wall not sqeezed.A 150 will not be wider.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Interesting, often wondered about this. So are you saying that u can safely mount a 140 on the rear without any issues. If not what would the issues be? also you woudnt need and modification to fit a 140 to either the rim or any other part, because i seen a thread on here where this guy mounted a bigger tire and had to do a complete mod ( but i think that was due to a larger rim). So long story short can i put on a 140 without issue, we all know the only give away to the look of a 250 is that damn small tire....lol.

·
Registered
331 Posts
ninjafreak said:
Interesting, often wondered about this. So are you saying that u can safely mount a 140 on the rear without any issues. If not what would the issues be? also you woudnt need and modification to fit a 140 to either the rim or any other part, because i seen a thread on here where this guy mounted a bigger tire and had to do a complete mod ( but i think that was due to a larger rim). So long story short can i put on a 140 without issue, we all know the only give away to the look of a 250 is that damn small tire....lol.
Yep,You got it right.
Long story short.Put that 140 on and enjoy.
Btw that guy with big rim and big tire was me.Bull's eye.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I like the big tire and rim but involves way to much modification for my abilities. Good job though!. Does anyone disagree with this man, 140 is totally cool? Not that i dont believe you just like a little more reassuring...lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have read many posts with people who put a 150/60/17 or 150/70/17 and have had no problems......therefore I think it is probably o.k. Lets be honest here, if there is one thing that you could complain about on these bikes it is the size of the back tire. It is the one and only thing that I have heard people comment on negatively, therefore why not try to put the biggest tire on that you can without compromising safety, and handling. In my opinion if you can fit a 150, then go with it. My main concern was having two different tire compounds if you kept the original front tire.

·
Registered
331 Posts
ninjafreak said:
I like the big tire and rim but involves way to much modification for my abilities. Good job though!. Does anyone disagree with this man, 140 is totally cool? Not that i dont believe you just like a little more reassuring...lol.
It's nice to try things out.My definition is from fact and errer though.Made many mistakes myself.From mistakes I learned alot.

In my opiniun,it's ok to put two different compound on a bike.Alot of us may have been useing the bike
for some time now.And alot must have noticed that the rear tires will worn out 1st hence flat spot on middle of rear tire.There for put a harder compound on rear tire is a helping solution.
I,on the other hand,prefer to use same compound and change only the rear tire when time comes.My choise your choise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts