Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the salvage yard today, and got a GM auto horn, and a couple of fiamm aftermarket horns (low and high tone). I only paid $2.00 each!
The GM horn is louder and lower pitched than the OEM horn. The Fiamm horns are each louder than the GM horn, and together they have a massive cutting sound! These horns are about the same physical size as the OEM horn, so one would fit on it's original bracket, and one could easily be mounted from the top bolt on the other side of the radiator. I would like to use these horns together if possible.
Has anyone done this without extra power and a relay from the battery? I know that they would draw less than the compressor for an air horn, (especially when the compressor starts!) but I don't want to burn up the horn switch contacts.

If I have to run a relay, I will hook up all three of these horns, and the OEM one together. One could mount to the right radiator bolt, and the other two could easily be mounted under the right front fairing.

What do you guys think?

Switch

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information Blue!

I have a 12 volt relay here. All I have to get is an inline fuse holder, and I can wire it up. I will probably take a 3/4 inch wide strap of metal, and bend it into a single bracket to hold both of the new horns from the top bolts of the radiator where the original one is now. You are probably right about not hearing the OEM horn too, so I'll remove it for extra space. I may hang the GM horn into the right fairing space too.
Yesterday, while doing a test ride with my new 15/42 sprockets just installed, a woman in a car passed me on the right in my lane, and had to pull in front of me to avoid hitting a curb about 20 feet in front of us. I turned to her and said some choice profanity, but was probably only heard by myself:facepalm:.... The horn thing has to be fixed!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what did I actually do??

OK here's what I figured out and did:

1. The stock horn has power to it constantly when the ignition is turned on, from a 10 amp fuse under the seat.
  2. The other wire from the stock horn goes to the horn switch.
  3. The horn switch supplies ground to the horn when pressed.
First, I mounted the two Fiamm horns under the right front fairing, using the bolt that holds the radiator cap and tube.
Then, I wired the unit as follows:

1. connect the power supply wire from the stock horn to the main contact of the relay.
  2. Also, connect the power supply wire from the stock horn to one side of the relay winding. (my relay had a parallel spade terminal to facilitate this, but two wires could be put into a terminal to accomplish this.)
  3. connect the horn button wire from the stock horn to the other terminal of the relay winding.
  4. Connect the Normally Open terminal of the relay's main contacts to one terminal from Each of the three horns.( original horn, and two Fiamm horns)
  5. Connect a wire from the frame of the motorcycle to the other terminal of each of the three horns. (for grounding!)
Now, the original wire supplies the power to the horns, but the horn switch only has to carry the current of the relay winding. I have sounded the horns quite a bit for testing, and the 10 amp horn fuse has not blown.
I would have liked to replace the original horn with the GM horn, as it sounded really cool to have it's lower tone, but there wasn't quite enough room there.....
As it is, I have a MAJOR improvement in the horn sound, and I'm pretty happy with it.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.