Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you clicked this post because you thought you'd see accident pictures or something, I apologize for the misleading topic name.

The point of this post was to discuss some differences between driving a car and riding a motorcycle. I have had a LOT of driving experience in my time (4 years of newspaper delivery, I've seen everything) But I have had ZERO experience riding a motorcycle. Not even as a passenger, I have never ever even been on a bike. But I have purchased all of my gear already and am now saving up for the course and my bike.

That said, there are things I've noticed while driving that would probably be serious safety concerns on a bike.

1) Cars have FOUR wheels, not TWO. This seems pretty obvious, but if you really think about it you'll start to understand the significance. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten cocky or confident and misjudged my own speed into a dark or blind corner only to have my car yell at me "ESC activated" (Electronic Stabilitek traction Control I think it stands for) Anyway, the car senses traction loss in any particular wheel and transfers power away from that wheel to the other wheels until you regain control of the vehicle. Something you definitely don't get on a bike. Also, burning out at a traffic light when I'm not paying attention is really easy to do in my Cobalt '08 Sport. "Traction Loss" and the sound of my fronts burning are common place to me.

2) Cars have ABS (Anti-lock braking) I can only assume that bikes have no such feature? That seems like it would be incredibly dangerous to have. Correct me if I'm wrong on this. But either way, the braking system on a bike is completely different than that of a car. If something happens in your car, and you have a relatively newer vehicle, you can usually slow and swerve. (Times have changed. My father and grandfather's generation were always taught to slam on their brakes; Huge mistake) Nowadays, you slow if possible, but mostly focus on trying to always find an "out" at all times. Even when all of your lanes around you are completely clear, you should always know which way you will go if something happens and you have to change lanes immediately for whatever reason. This isn't so easy on a bike. You don't get to slam on your brakes and call it a day. An out is your only option on a bike. And if you slam the front brake, you're going to fly over your handlebars. That sounds unappealing.

3) I never think twice about the safety features on my vehicle. The '08 Cobalt Sport has Dual front airbags, Dual side curtain airbags, and Dual rear airbags, as well as a 5 Star front crash safety rating. ESC, ABS, and Onstar. The safety features on a bike are whatever you are wearing. ATGATT. (All the gear all the time)

4) Rubbernecking. In my car, it's really easy to accidentally find myself looking for longer than the 2 second rule at an accident, or an emergency vehicle, or even just the annoying guy who is pointing his oversized finger at his giant oversized banner for the local "do your taxes here" accountant guy. If you do that on a bike, you are likely to fixate and drive your bike straight into the guy. Always look where you want to go! Though our human nature of morbidity fascination will probably still get you to look at the accident on the side of the road. Keep it under 2 seconds or risk everything.

I had a lot more in mind before I posted this, but I guess you guys can post more if you can think of them. Some differences between a car and a motorcycle, and the safety tips that go along with it.

Can't sleep, work in 5 hours... Yay.
-Aleckor

ATGATT Stay safe. Don't ride like you drive. (Or at least not like I drive... you'll die)

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
bikes do have anti lock brakes...they are sitten on some honda's and large touring bikes. mainly heavier bikes.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I don't mean to be rude, but safety features on any car is the least of my concern. I'm more worried about the cell phone talking, texting, radio adjusting, controlled enviroment sitting, latte sipping, newspaper reading, fast food eating, laptop operating, sight seeing, make up applying, hair combing, dancing, barefoot driving, foot on the dash out the window, liquor drinking, cigarette / blunt smoking, totally reclined, heated massage seat sitting, no seat belt wearing, super dark tinted window having, can't see over the dash, bass blasting, license plate rattling, knob slobbed, non driving, DVD watching, bebe` kids screaming, Headlight/tail light missing, no turn signal using, broke down ass, no brake having, non parking, non race car driving, non motorcycle riding, riding too fast in the rain, no insurance / license having, can't see a motorcycle until it slams into their car, non driving ass who doesn't know what the f*** a safety feature is!!. Whew!
That's the difference between a Cager vs a Rider!!!! 8)

My opinion is that there should be more questions or pictures on the driving license test about motorcycles. And if you are over 75 take the road test every 2-3 years. That's just me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think if you're over 75 you should have to take the driving test every 6 months, and pass 100% or fail. But honestly, I don't think they should be driving anyways. So maybe I'm biased...

I live in the old person capital of the world.
-Aleckor

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I think if you're unable to ride a motorcycle, you should use the bus... That's doesn't mean that you HAVE TO ride a moto, you just need to able to, as, it's part of the driving test... that takes care of just about everything you mentioned Ghost, no?

·
The Man, The Mystery, The Itch.
4,853 Posts
Anywhere I go, whether it be driving, walking, or going around on my bike (peddle) I fear assholes on cell phones. I actually yell at every prick or prick-ess I see with a phone to their head in la la land. Everyday I count the near end of me or my car as some douche pulls out in front of me yapping away on the phone.

And if its not that its makeup. I once saw a girl doing her nails, talking on her cell phone and driving her BIG EXPENSIVE DADDY BOUGHT SUV that would kill anyone and leave her intact unfortunately. I had to call the cops, I literally followed her got her tag and called the cops, told 'em to look for the airhead, and the blue supra following.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
thats why we've got talking on our mobiles baned in this country..(in cars obviously)..have you over there?

·
4,853 Posts
pfft! no. No offense against my country or anyone else but do you think these asses would actually obey? people are so addicted to their phones and ipods they'd rather go to jail then be forced to give up the electronics.

On another note, its amazing what you see when you dont have a gun!

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
haha most people in this country dont obey it tbh...but its nice to see a copper pull over and give an £80 fine and 3 points on their licence for them doing it when they get caught :)

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
haha

did you get that idea from felix getting fried by any chance?

·
4,853 Posts
haha funny thing is that comment was before Felix told us what happend to him....creepy E.T. shit going on between us or something!

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
haha very!! your in eachothers thoughts ;)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
ABC News talked about distracted drivers this afternoon. A girl hit a biker while driving and painting her nails!!. No charges have yet to be filed by the prosecutor. I hope she spilled the polish!! Idiot. Even had one dumbass reading a novel while driving. :mad:

Shady!! where are those damn signs?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts