Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

First, hats off to Matt (ztrack) of sportisimoto USA. He always answered my emails promptly, and was true to the timeframe in which it would be delivered (ordered ahead so he knocked off a few bucks for me).

GO SPORTISI MOTO USA! GO MATT!​

**Stock CDI Unit that the BRT_tis replaces**

So, basically the install in a SYNCH- this is truly a plug and play kind of unit.

You need to first take off the side fairings, riders seat and rear cowl. The stock CDI is located under the bar that spans across underneath the riders seat, to which the seat hooks in to. it is held in place by a rubber grommet. I was able to just get my fingers under there and yank it out, but I think if you took off the six hex bolts holding it in place it would be much simpler.

Below is a picture of the unit itself, after removing the eight pin connector and the stock CDI and plugging in the new smexy BRT_tis:

The unit is a little bigger then the old CDI, so to keep it in place I used some 1" x 1" velcro patches, two attached to the unit and two attached where the stock CDI once laid. It was enough to keep it in place pretty securely.

In order to use the Map1/Map2 switch, you need to remove the wire loom from the two pin socket and replace it with the included two pin that has two unstripped wires hanging off it, one green, and one orange. You then strip about 1/4" off of the end of each and connect green to green, orange to orange of the Map1/Map2 switch. Secure the connections by either crimping them together or use some stretchy weatherproof electrical tape as I did.

Below is a picture of the two wires running along the left side fairing and up to my clutch-side handlebar. The Switch has a mounting plate that fits perfectly around the bar, making it a zero-hassle project to switch yourself into Map2 when you so desire:

Now, to show you where the wires were running to, the Map1/Map2 On/Off switch:

((ON = Map 2 / OFF = Map 1))

To make sure the running wires stay where they are supposed to, I used a combination of zip-ties and weatherproof vinyl tape to wrap it all to the subframe. Doesn't take much at all, maybe three zip ties and two 5" pieces of tape to wrap around here and there.

To give you an idea of how the unit functions:

When you turn the key ON with the switch in the ON position, a blue led blinks once and two separate red and green LEDs come on solid, designating you are in Map 2, and stay on until you turn your key to the OFF position.

When you turn the key ON with the switch in the OFF position, a blue led blinks once and just a single red led comes on designating you are in Map 1, and stay on until you turn your key to the OFF position.

One thing I found helpful was to adjust my idle to 1.5-1.6k from 1.375k~. This eliminated any hang or stutter on the tac when blipping the throttle, or really wringing it quickly.

Now, I HAVE gotten to do a minimal amount of riding around with it, so I refuse to write a full impression of both Maps or answer performance questions until I go to the twisties/sweepers I ride often (Rt 80 CT) to get a feel for the full power band.. but I WILL say, I am VERY HAPPY with what I have felt thus far.. honestly, no placebo pill here, a few things right off the bat turned me on to the unit very much so.

So, with that being said, this thread will be updated tomorrow (weather permitting) with the slight chance I will wait until Sunday to type out a good, full, ride review. I also wanted to take off my seat and side fairings again and get some better quality photos, also show the stock CDI compared to the BRT_tis.

Farewell for now babies!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I use the BRT TIS. I could not do what I do with out it. I was facing a major expence. To make an adjustable ignition system was going to cost thousands of dollars.

You can't put a Power Commander on a 250 ninja. So thanks Matt and Sportisimoto USA.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Hmm, photos don't work, or is that just me?

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Thanks Blackout!! That makes all the dfference!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AUDACIA said:
how much did it cost?
To order the non-programmable unit as i have with just the two preprogrammed Map1/Map2 with the quick switch, 180$ shipped.

To include the remote that lets you set ignition timing over 30 places across the timing band, 300$ to your door.

http://www.sportisimoto-usa.com/ignition.php

Above is the link, where you can contact matt at [email protected]

Hope that helped.

PS- Updating the thread with my riding experience of the unit tomorrow. Mostly MAP2, I was able to fill her up with 93 octance and blast her around both Rt 80 sweepers and on the way to work.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igzJzdvQY0Y

The above is a quick riding video I did in Map2 earlier this morning. it isn't much, but something to look at!

The tis is a blast, it really is. My powerband feels significantly more in tune with both regular and aggressive riding. Throttle responds great, taco readings are so much more point-on and it seems I gained more usable power in the mid-high rpm range. I could not be more happy with the unit itself, but I really would like to get my bike on a dyno now. My butt dyno just isn't cutting it for me anymore! ;)

It is also great that my rev limiter is set at 14k, I do feel there is some power and top end to grab for the rear wheels there in certain circumstances. it also is just cool to see your bike pull through all the gears at 14k.. :D

There is no hang at all. The bike just seems so much more responsive and ready to GOOO!

I love it. I recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind spending the cash. The feeling I have with it is comparable to the feeling I had right after I got my new exhaust and jet kit installed. The 'wow.. thissa' 250?' factor went up a few points for sure. Very happy indeed.

Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.