Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

Breaking in tires??

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  mrdaf 
#1 ·
My bike is an 09 with 26 miles on it. Who's got the safest way to break in that rear tire??

Its the factory tire, I know some people have some mixed feelings about those but until its done I'd like it to last. Maybe even not slip out from under me

Thanks

JT 8)

G
#2 ·
I've been going thru the same thing with my 09 too. 275 miles so far. Just don't go fast. I have a hell of a time trying to stay 4000 RPM and below. So that keeps me slow for sure. Also we have been having unusual snow and black ice. So that means lots of sand on the road. I would reccomend that going slow is not very hard to do. I never had even a hint of slippery tire. It is much overrated IMHO as a problem.
Sleepy

#3 ·
My dealer says to give a tire about 100miles to get all the factory grease and things worn off, and also obviously to be weary the farther you lean it over, since these areas usually don't get warn the same as the middle... But really, the factory tire is pretty much great for everything up to full on knee-dragging. It gets a little sketch at full-tilt. Other than that, Sleepy's advice is awesome. Just keep it slow, and if you want to push, push slowly and surely....

#4 ·
yeh diffinately increase speed slowly, you can just wack the power on and expect it to grip..

but then again i doubt ill be able to keep it under 4000rpm for like the 500 mile break in

#6 ·
no way man, you wanna wear that tire is haul ass! get that tire hot go ride in the streets take lots of turns to start to wear in the sides of the tire in no time your tire will be fine! its what i did then again my tire is diff then yours but should be applied the same right

#8 ·
I removed a few posts. We've got several posts on breaking in the engine, please keep this on topic of breaking in the tires.

I just got a set of new tires, and here is my experience/advise on breaking them in. Pretty much elaborating on what you said TekkaBlade...

The tires have mold release on them from the factory the tire was made at. Mold release is a greasy agent used to make the tire release from it's mold. Most of it is cleaned off, but some of it is still on the tire when you get it.

This isn't something to freak out about - you dont have motor oil on your tire, but I don't recomment going out and pushing the limits of your riding until you have some time on the tire. I started out by taking it easy; not babying it, but just calm casual riding. After about 20 miles of that I started pushing it a bit more in corners, but only in long, smooth corners. As more miles piled on I have started pushing it harder. I have over 150 miles on the tires now and they handle great, no slippage and anything oily in the tire is gone.

So I guess what I am saying is gradually start asking the tire for more - don't force it. While it probably isn't needed to wait more than a few miles of decent cornering, it's better to be cautious when your life/bike is at risk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.