Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello team, just a quick question to check if this is normal, took my baby on her first main road ride yesterday and is it normal trying to keep the revs at 4,000 even in 6th gear only lets me go a maximum 55/60 km if so, that's ridiculous I cant keep a maximum speed of 60 for 1,000 miles!!!

Also 2nd question when dropping down gears say 5th to first as i know im going to be stopping, is it ok to just pull the clutch in and press the shifter down till I find first as coming to the stop or best to pull the clutch in stop then shift her down?? I tried the first method a few times and bike made some weird mechanical sounds when i was pushing the pedal down until I couldnt anymore looking for first while at speed (clutch was fully in) we were always taught to use the rear brake on the msf and for the second method i would have to use the front brake as i would have to put my right foot down, make sense?

Just training for my road test and want to make sure i'm doing everything right by the bike!!

thanks in advance brothers!!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Also as to the gears. This is more depending on the speed as u drop speed u slowly drop gears, don't try to drop them all at once.. If u try to do this it will jerk u and even loose control..

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
i did varying speeds...from like 4k rpm to 7k to break it in. but thats just me lol

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Don't be afraid to get it higher than 7k as u know u could go upto 12 and still be in the clear zone. As long u don't red line it u are fine. So is your bike fuel injection??

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
When downshifting to a stop you want to rev the engine just a bit so that your rpm is slightly matching your speed. (ie if you are braking while decelerating, pull in the clutch, , squeeze on the brake normally to slow down, squeeze the clutch, give a really quick twist on the throttle, downshift quick, let out the clutch (slightly just until it engages), And repeat until you have downshifted completely). This is a somewhat quick process and will take some practice. Depending on who you ask this is called rev matching or blipping the throttle. Depending on your speed you can downshift two gears at a time. The weird sound you probably hear is the gears clunking together trying to slide on the shaft to match (mesh) up.

As far as driving at 4k rpm during break in, it will not hurt to drive it normally (gradual increase in rpms). So if you and the bike feel comfortable shifting at 6k it will not kill the engine. Even riding at 6.5k will not hurt it (just do not abuse the gears and clutch). However it you want a little better overall ride, get a 15 tooth front sprocket. It will not void the warranty ( have the dealer install) and won't affect your break in period. In fact it will make it smoother and more pleasureable. The 250 Ninja is terribly undergeared with the stock 14/45 gearing.

Changing the gears takes full advantage of the horsepower available and makes for a much better feeling bike. You will be able to stay in a gear longer. Just ask anybody that has changed their gears. If you are not looking for fast launches, a 15 tooth front sprocket will pull nicely and bring down your rpms about 500. you will just have to twist the throttle a little farther. You will be surprised at the performance you will get out of it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Meegari,

It is a pain to break in the bike. I basically took it easy and stayed on residential streets for the first 100-200 km and then limited myself to 80km/h for the rest of the break in. I did this for my last 250 and had no problems. So basically you just need to stay off Deerfoot Trail.

I'm still breaking in my new 250 as well so if you want to get together for a ride message me. I can go over downshifting and whatever else with you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi-tech said:
Don't be afraid to get it higher than 7k as u know u could go upto 12 and still be in the clear zone. As long u don't red line it u are fine. So is your bike fuel injection??
Nope its a north american model carbed, thanks for all your advice guys, so you are saying that if I know i will be stopping (red light or something) and im in 5th I SHOULDNT pull the clutch in and find first?? I thought as long as the clutch was engaged lever pulled in i could downshift (like in a car you glide in neutral to a stop ) im sure they said we could do this in the MSF course i did?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
By all means, you can downshift from 5th to 1st with the clutch pulled in. If you are going too fast (coasting) when you do it, the gears will clunk down instead of going down smoothly. Just try not to do it all in one shot. In emergency stops it's not really going to matter. But to save wear and tear on the transmission, smoother downshifts are essential. The ranges (speed & rpm) at which you upshift, should be close to the same when downshifting smoothly. (that's what I try to do, someone else may do it different)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Blue Ghost, yup it definitely wasnt smooth shifting down, I only did it twice so hopefully no harm done, I will follow your advice going forward though!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts