Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the average mileage before a car's engine "breaks in"? I just rolled over 11,000 miles and my car is acting brand new again. It's bouncing off redline before it shifts, it's spinning the tires from a dead stop, and just generally taking the corners like a champion.

I've never even seen my ESC activate before recently, and now I get "Traction Loss" messages all the time. My car even SOUNDS meaner.

Could it be something more serious than just an engine that has finally broken in?
-Aleckor

·
Registered
80 Posts
First, what kind of car do you have?
Then engine in your average car is actually broken in after 1,000 miles, and the actual breaking in of the engine happens within the first 20-200 miles. Your ESC is ALWAYS on, and if you are spinning tires it might just be you need new tires. How do you drive it? Do you drive it like you stole it or like a grandma? Some people say that the way you treat an engine in the first 1,000 miles is how it "Learns" to drive itself, because the "brain of the car" records the first 1,000 miles as an example on how it will be driven, when it should shift for fuel and engine performance, and when it should shift to keep from hurting itself or redlining.
Also, what kind of mods have you done? If you chipped the engine, then most likely this is just the wear in of the chip's "brain" and it's recognition of the control it will place over the engine depending on (yet again) how you "teach" it to drive. At the worst, you may need to go get the dealership, tell them what it's doing, and if it's the chip or ESC then they might have to recalibrate it.
Need more info to guess what it is though. Let me know if this helps.

Also, if it sounds meaner, it might be an exhaust leak. Just a thought.

·
Registered
87 Posts
the computer might have reset itself. happens sometimes if a battery goes dead and you dont use a memory saver when you change it.

so it might be relearning to drive and compensate for things again.

probably not a major problem. really shouldnt be a problem at all. if its still under warranty go take it to the manufacturer and tell them that it sounds better drives better and you think there is a problem because of it.

however, cars these days have sensors everywhere. so, if there was a problem, you would probably have a check engine light on.

im guessing you dont, so its probably not a big deal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2008 Chevy Cobalt Sport 2.4L NA, 180hp 175lb-ft, All of the sport trimmings and packages you can get stock from the factory on it. Absolutely everything, including the 'comfort' features like full ebony heated leather seats etc.

It all started about 500 miles ago, right at almost exactly 11000 miles. I've always driven it like I stole it. From the first time I test drove it with only 3 miles on the car, I've been driving it like I stole it...

Lately though, about 500 miles ago, My fiance' broke up with me after almost a year of being engaged. Sadly I've been taking it out on my car. I've been doing 100-110 and it's been feeling "slow" so I keep pushing it to its limits.

I can't stop myself anymore... I'll be doing 70 mph and it'll still feel "slow" even if it's in town. It's such a smooth ride, and I'm almost always so upset when I drive it that I can't help but go faster and faster....

Maybe it's just finally taken its toll on my engine? It shifts harder than it ever has before, and it bounces off redline instead of shifting at like 6800RPM, it'll bounce off the 7000 redline and hit 7050-7100 RPM before finally shifting.

It's a 4 speed automatic transaxle, and I don't need new tires. Both fronts (my steering tires) (FWD) still have plenty of tred left....

Battery is fine, hasn't died at all or anything. The car itself is just....

As broken hearted as me I guess. My car is acting just like me, honestly. Emotional.
-Aleckor

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Aleckor, has the weather changed? If the temp/humidity has changed, it will effect your performance, and will make the engine change it's characteristics.... With the extra abuse, you might have burned off any small deposits on either the O2 sensor or the spark plugs... There are so many variables it's not even funny... make sure to maintain your fluids and the car will stay strong regardless of use!

Enjoy it while it lasts!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ouch bro... Fiance... Been there. Literally been there. '05 Ford Focus, modified 1.5 liter crate motor, turbocharged, modified trans... Drove it to it's literal limits even in town. Basically, what has happened is your front end needs to be realigned, (even if it doesn't feel like it! Trust me it helps ESPECIALLY if you burn out in a front wheel drive car, they are NOT designed for burning the tires because the transmission and the steering linkages are on the same wheels) and i don't know exactly what is wrong with your particular car, but mine ended up throwing a rod through my hood, left this nice little quarter sized hole in my brand spanking new carbon fiber hood... And thats why i don't have a car right now! Lol
Basically, my focus did exactly what yours seems to be doing. Boucing off the limiter and stuff. I'd get it checked to be safe. It is still under warranty, so it's best to catch it now. For reference though, normal everyday cars cannot take the shearing tolerances of driving that way. I know, i proved it. I know it's fun and helps relieve stress, but you have to remember that racecars get all new parts in their engines before every race, and a new engine every 5 or 6 races. All you are going to do is destroy your nice new car bro. Be careful with all of that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll ask the mechanic to check it out tomorrow. I have an appointment at the dealer for an oil change, tire rotation and to fix my 12v plugs. (They don't work for whatever reason)

I'll mention exactly what is going on and suggest they check out the alignment on the front and anything else they can think of. Still under bumper to bumper warranty so it shouldn't cost me anything. We'll see how that goes though. Thanks for the tips/advice!

And yeah... Hard not to take out my frustrations on my car. I honestly try not to, but it doesn't work.
-Aleckor

·
Registered
6 Posts
car engine

I agree that it really depends in the type of car that you own because different cars have different engine sizes. Having said this 1,000 miles made me quite confuse because I think it's way better but anyway thanks for sharing the information.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts