Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys, i picked up my 09 SE 250 yesterday, love the bike so far.. the only thing i'm concerned about and i could be wrong, is my idle.

When i first start the bike if it's cold out i'll let it run a minute with the choke on and then turn the choke off.. the idle will drop down to a little below 2000 rpm..

then once i start driving, if i come to a stop after driving the bike for a few minutes, the bike idles at about 3000rpm.. but then sometimes it will drop back down to a little below 2000rpm..

does this have something to do with the fans coming on? maybe the bike's cooling itself down, or should i lower the idle a little bit?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Using the choke is normal, however there is really no need to let the bike idle and warm up until it gets to 3k rpm. You can engage the choke to initially start the bike when it is cold, once started and the rpms start to approach 2k, start to disengage the choke, let it warm up at normal idle speed. (1300-1350 k/rpm) Which would be under the 1500 mark on the tach. The fan will come on if it is hot ( above 205-212 Farenheit) and there is not enough air flow thru the radiator or it will come on for a short period after you turn the bike off. Check your coolant level and radiator cap if the fan runs too much or too often.
The rpms should never go to 3000 rpm with no throttle applied. If so, check and adust the idle. Also check to see if there is smoth movement in the choke cable.
Is the engine speed actually increasing or is the tach just registering that high ?.
If the tach is registering that high with no actual increase in engine speed, you may have a bad tach or IC Igniter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.