Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys not sure if this has already been covered. Most probably has. Just couldnt find it.

What is the proper way to slow down. I find myself using the back brakes more than the front when slowing down and only using the front break when im completely coming to a stop (5 kmh before i put my foot down). Ive read somewhere and it said u shuld be using the front brakes more than the back. Which is the proper. Safe way of slowing down.

I was travelling about 40 kmh today behind a car who suddenly stepped on his brakes. I slowly stepped on the back brakes. Not real hard and the back wheel still locked up n slid

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
The way I see it is I basically use the back brake to keep the bike in line and at slow slow speeds. I was taught 90/10 as far as ratio's go for front to rear braking.

On the drag strip i'm off the throttle, on the front, then rear, then sit up into the wind then shift down. :D But that is at over 140mph.

Also in the wet, using more rear brake is suggested from what I remember... front can wash out.

Also braking when cornering is taught as a no no, but I have found it some what useful for certain situations. Braking makes the bike lay down, same as throttle makes it stand up. Thats why they teach you not to do either in corners :D But when you need to straighten up or lay down further then you can use that.

I'm sure someone else will be along to correct/improve on this.

Felix

·
Registered
14 Posts
Felix is right , The front brake is the most effective stopper. I allways grab the front brake first, then apply the rear brake soon afterwards as this seems to balance the bike. I use the rear brake if I start to run wide on a corner, as it will pull the front down. Its normal to rely on the back at first. But you do really need to master the front.
MICK.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I agree! Mo' front brake! This is how I've been taught:

The front brake is responsible for 70% of braking, and the back brake, respectively, 30%. That means, if either brake is used to it's MAXIMUM, those brakes can provide that much braking power in ideal situations, while the bike is neutrally weighted.

However, as soon as you use the front brake the weight of the bike transfer forward, putting all the weight on the front tire, squishing it down, and making it a much more effective brake. I would say that you can get almost 95% of the braking from the front when riding hard, just because you're rear tire is so damn light under heavy braking, using the brake on it is pretty much worthless....

I don't use my rear brake unless there's hazards on the road - sand, water, snow, ice... In that order, the closer I get to ice, the more and more I start using the rear brake. Why? Because recovering from a rear-end slide is pretty darn easy. However, trying to catch a front tire that's washing out is next to near impossible for less experienced riders. You'll be down before you realized your front tire is sliding.

There's TONS of info on this, but for now, unless you're stopping on sand, or are riding in rain, forget about your rear brake.... When you brake, shift your weight to the back of the bike. However, even you don't, unless you place your weight over the front of the bike, you won't get the 250 to pull a stoppie. Yes, it's doable, but you have to work at it. Also, it's quite difficult to lock up the front tire of the 250. Yes, I've tried, yes, I've succeeded. It's not easy.

What I recommend for you to do is go to a wide open parking lot, and either pick markers or brings markers with you. Pick a speed (25mph), accelerate up to 25mph as quickly as you can then brake AS HARD AS YOU CAN to a FULL STOP (feet down 0mph). Then decrease that distance by 2 feet the next time around and so forth. Then do the exercise at 40mph. Start easy at first. Then add more and more brake. What you are doing through this exercise is teaching yourself the limits of the tires, in this case, enforced by the brakes (as opposed to speed through a turn). I can hustle my 250 down from 25mph in about 10ft. 40mph takes 30ft. Using just the front brake...

You will be surprised at how quickly you decelerate and how much there really is... Please pardon the long response, I just prefer to give thorough answers. I hope this helps you. Ask the other guys around, I'm a verbose bastard! :D Keep the rubber side down!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can always count on you Spooph to provide noobs like myself a thorough answer.

Thank you so much guys. Been slowing down with the front brakes since your replies, I guess this would be a habit which would one day save your life...

Front brakes before back brakes... got it!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Also braking when cornering is taught as a no no, but I have found it some what useful for certain situations. Braking makes the bike lay down, same as throttle makes it stand up. Thats why they teach you not to do either in corners :D But when you need to straighten up or lay down further then you can use that.

Felix
wait wait wait... breaking while cornering stands the bike UP. And more throttle just means faster speed if your body is hanging off...

and I NEVER use my rear brake, unless emergency braking, or riding in the wet. I use the rear regularly when stopping in the wet. And never TOUCH my rear on a dry day. I even considered taking it off; I don't use it. Use of the rear brake is completely unnecessary, and dangerous. I've heard of noobs that are new to riding and are talking about using rear brake... these are the poor suckers that end up road spaghetti.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I NEVER use my rear brake, unless emergency braking, or riding in the wet. I use the rear regularly when stopping in the wet. And never TOUCH my rear on a dry day. I even considered taking it off; I don't use it. Use of the rear brake is completely unnecessary, and dangerous. I've heard of noobs that are new to riding and are talking about using rear brake... these are the poor suckers that end up road spaghetti.
I use my rear brake all the time - probably more than my front brake. It's very useful for low speed manuevers and even for cornering if I feel I'm still going a tad too fast after entering it... You wouldn't want to use the front for that!

Mostly I use it for minor speed reductions. I do a lot of engine braking also so it works well in combination.

Obviously the front brake is necessary for emergency stopping and any major speed reduction (like coming to a stop light), but I try to not to use it when I don't have to.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
...and I NEVER use my rear brake, unless emergency braking, or riding in the wet. I use the rear regularly when stopping in the wet.
Soooo you do use your rear brake?

If you go into a corner and it's tighter than first thought or decreasing radius or the surface goes to shit then a dab or rear brake will help you lean it in, dab front brakes to straighten up and run out of the corner.

Not all of us are hanging off our bikes, and just turning the throttle will just power you to the outside of the corner unless you are leaning/steering more aggressively.

Also using the rear brake is a MUST for certain situation (like above). Maybe not in the riding you do on that bike (normally), but for me at 150mph and needing to stop and keep the rear in line it's a must.

Felix

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
I use my rear brake all the time - probably more than my front brake. It's very useful for low speed manuevers and even for cornering if I feel I'm still going a tad too fast after entering it... You wouldn't want to use the front for that!

Mostly I use it for minor speed reductions. I do a lot of engine braking also so it works well in combination.

Obviously the front brake is necessary for emergency stopping and any major speed reduction (like coming to a stop light), but I try to not to use it when I don't have to.
Have you done a professional training?

Felix

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you go into a corner and it's tighter than first thought or decreasing radius or the surface goes to shit then a dab or rear brake will help you lean it in, dab front brakes to straighten up and run out of the corner.

Felix
I have never tried that... is that a common racing technique? Sounds good, I need to try it, thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a question, might seem 'tarded but can your front brake lock up real easy on a 250?
No. On hard braking, you can break really hard if done right without worrying about lockup. And improper braking technique with the front, such as jamming in the lever instead of pulling, will just barely lock it up a little. I've never had a front end wobble, and im on 43k miles.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Virt, the only time I've locked up the front was running up a guy's tail pipe at the track because he freaked out and the front tire was turned significantly. I actually hopped the front tire and he ran off the track (stayed upright), allowing me to continue my turn and pitch the bike back in.

Freerunner, what happens when you don't lean off the bike and use the brakes, front or back?

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
like a safety course? not yet. I'm signed up to take it this summer though :)

Why do you ask?
Just wondering, if someone was out there teaching that or it was something you came to while riding. Rear brake is less scary and I think a lot of new riders, inc myself got very comfortable using the rear brake straight off the bat and had to retrain to use the front brake up to around the 90% mark.

I have never tried that... is that a common racing technique? Sounds good, I need to try it, thanks.
Don't know if it's a common racing technique, hehe, I was taught by a Australian Superbike rider. He spent most of the day teaching me not to use brakes or gears come to think of it! Amazing tutor, made me rethink what fast was and how to get there.

Have you read Twist of the Wrist I and II? Old books, little difficult to read, and some outdated info regarding bike technology... but good all the same.

Ideally, you should not need to touch the brakes in any corner, maybe that would be the case on a race track with NO other riders... throw in riders, changing surfaces, animals, real roads, unknown corners etc and I feel it's MASSIVELY important to know how to use your brakes in a corner. You might only need to do it once, but it might keep you out of the gutter.

My racing, is drag racing, so I'm pulling up in a straight line very quickly and with the extra weight my bike is carrying over a 250 and my fat arse on it, when I use the front brake the rear end gets sooooo squirmy! So I sit up, back of throttle, apply rear brake then front :D

Felix

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just wondering, if someone was out there teaching that or it was something you came to while riding. Rear brake is less scary and I think a lot of new riders, inc myself got very comfortable using the rear brake straight off the bat and had to retrain to use the front brake up to around the 90% mark.
Yeah there definitely might be a comfort factor involved.... but I'll start trying to use the front brake more. I haven't run into any scares yet, but I'd rather do it the RIGHT way.
Thanks Flix

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Dude, do what feels comfortable. One thing I did that taught me a lot about riding was picking a gear (on the 250 it was 3rd) and then using nothing but throttle to ride, no brakes, no gear changing! Really really taught me how to ride! Then we added gear changing, then finally brakes.

All comes down to your riding style! Just because your bike can do things doesn't mean you have to push it to the limits... your riding style might not require you to get off the bike, it may be more than suited to the braking style you've developed. It's just nice to try the other way... highly recommend training courses, great way to try different things in a mentor environment.

Felix

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.