Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 10,000 miles on the OEM Nissin Brake Pads, it was time to replace them and upgrade. My choice of pads were EBC FA197HH Sintered Copper Alloy Pads for the front and EBC FA197 Carbon Graphite Pads for the rear. These pads seemed somewhat readily available at a couple of dealers. They seem to mainly fit late '80's and 90's model year dirt bikes and ATV's.
So far the pads feel good on the rear. Not too much of a difference in braking from the OEM's. The front seem really good, a lot better than the oem front pads. Once the weather warms up, I will be able to tell a real difference and how they react to heat and high temps and how fast they wear down the rotor.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basically I took my time doing it. I had the front done in less than 20 minutes as all the bolts were easy to get too. The rear was a little less than a hour because the bolts that hold on the rear caliper are a little more difficult to get to to remove and torque. For some reason the rear pads had some paint on the surface of one of the pads, so I scuffed the pads with a little sand paper to remove the paint. Also the brake pad holder shaft on the rear caliper was a little tight. Rotors were still within spec. After install I took it out for a spin to seat the pads and rechecked the torque.
Checked with my dealer to see if was necessary to bleed the line and he said it was not necessary if I did not open the hydraulic system and was careful in pushing the pistons back to insert the pads. According to the service manual, brake fluid gets inspected periodically and replaced every two years. This was the first brake replacement at the one year mark ( My bike is a year old) and the bike has passed state inspection.
Anyone with general mechanic skills can do this with no problem.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For anyone interested in upgrading their brakes, here are a few other brand choices and part numbers:

Galfer Brakes

FK003D674-1(front) FK003D674R (rear)

DP Brakes

DP412 or SDP412 (front only)

Vesrah

VD-250 or SD-250

SBS

638 HF (front) 638 LF (rear)

Fedoro

FDB2087

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
why not when looking at new breaks to upgrade your break hoses to braided ones, a very good mod, also buy a brembo master cylinder for your bike, (expensive mods but awesome if your looking to keep your bike!)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess one could, when looking to upgrade their entire brake system, install a Brembo brake system and stainless steel hoses if they wanted to spend about $400+ dollars. However I chose to upgrade brake pads instead because it was cheaper ($62), easier and faster to do. My system was fine except for the pads. By the time I upgrade again I will definitely upgrade rotors and lines and maybe look into a new system, but for now I'm still able to lock up the brakes which I think is pretty darn good.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
lines are a deffinate must at some point just because of wear and tear and how rubber lines can wear

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Prior to changing pads, I took my bike for it's annual state inspection at which time I had everything inspected and tested very well. The bike is an '09. Since Kawasaki recommends replacing brake fluid at the two year mark, it will be the perfect time to change lines. However there is not a lot of wear on the current lines. The bike is garaged and kept up very well. other than high miles...not a scratch....well maybe the bottom of the kick stand.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Delta107 said:
Im an messed up person cause I just snorted some milk! lol back to brake pads!!!
whatttt?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts