Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

Bought my bike!

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  cyclotron 
#1 ·
Had to make about an hour drive to get her but this is my new baby :)

Bought her from a high school kid(!), a family that seemed so nice. I'm glad I had a good Craigslist experience. 2004, 7100 miles, never been dropped (the owner knew how to ride already), one previous owner from Bend.

We had to get wiring in my Subaru to get the trailer. We had to get tie-downs to hold the bike in place. We had to drive all the way through pretty whippy wind...but once the owner (Hunter) zipper her up a hill and showed me what she could do, I was in love.

Here are some pictures of the journey :D

Entering the Dalles!

All loaded up on the trailer...

Before dinner. I just stared at her the whole time. Someone else wandered by and spent like 2 full minutes looking her over. I wondered if they recognized Hunter's bike in this small town.

Finally at home!

Got two keys. Nothing mechanically wrong. Needs a new back tire in a few thousand miles. I'm in love. Well, maybe minus that Transformers sticker.

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats on the bike!! Looks pristine too. You look right at home on the bike. And judging from the scenery in the pics you will have an awesome time when ya finally get to ride it. Do you have to get an inspection done on the bike before you tag it? My state DMV requires so.
Rider up rubber down!

#3 ·
Congrats! Looks very nice!

Look it over carefully for maintenance items that need to be done before you hit the streets. The chain should have the proper slack and be lubed, brake fluid should be clear and up to the proper levels, oil should be up to the proper level, coolant level should be correct, etc. Change the oil and filter if it's anything but completely fresh.

Check the date on the tires. The date code is 4 digits is in an oval on the sidewall. It may be something like "2607" - which would be the 26th week of 2007. If the tires are more than 5 or 6 years old change them - even if there's plenty of thread left. Good tires are extremely important, especially in the wet. Check tire pressures weekly - it's important.

Make sure you have all the gear, and use it all the time.

Have you done a riding course?

You'll find this forum to be one of the friendliest around. A good source of Ninja 250 info about maintenance etc is at - Ninja250 Howto - Ninja250Wiki. I'm a member there, but don't find the forum to be very friendly in general. There is a ton of knowledge about older Ninjas there though.

Jay

#8 ·
Ah! The MSF course. I had such a great experience. Took it with 4 others who I knew - worth the money and time. I won't say good luck because base on your commitment you will be fine.

:Sent via the NewNinja iPhone App:

#16 ·
The 500 doesn't have the middle part of the fairing, and exposes a lot more engine, easy way to tell - also has a slightly more aggressive crease on the front fairings, and a ridiculously long tank.... :) But yes, they do look like they're from the same vintage, don't they? Probably because neither of them changed a long time....

Cassi, nice bike, and great write-up! Give this girl a gold star! Also, not just the bike that's purdy! You go girl! BTW, you prefer Cassi or Cassandra?

#13 ·
I'm ok with people thinking I have a meaner, meatier bike :)

I'm not sure when I'll go anywhere with it. It's a lot of cash if I drop it just goofing off. I'd rather really wait until after class to get on it with the intention of going down the street.

I have MSC the first weekend of June. My gear (helmet, jacket, gloves) has shipped and should be here this week. I'll probably try and start it (don't even know how to do that yet) and find the friction zone when I get Ye Olde Brain Bucket.

I did watch an enlightening YouTube video though... Taught me that left grip is the CLUTCH not the rear brake, ha...I feel better now knowing my bike has good brakes! At first when I parked it I was like, Hmmm, that back brake doesn't seem to be doing any good. Bikes are so weird.

#18 ·
so I've gotten moving in first gear only in my parking lot. doing left and right turns. verrrrry slooooowwwwwllllly but gaining speed. beautiful weather lately. getting to feel pretty natural in first gear.

had to drop it, of course! I ruined her pristine-ness. standing still. the right side. cracked the windshield, scratched the side, scuffed the brake and the right mirror. thumbs down for loseryness. soy un perdador. scraped a hand and knee. I can't imagine doing that at 60mph. atgatt.

might be a dumb q, but how do I know how much gas is in it? no gauge.

#19 ·
Well that all depends on engine and tanks size, I may be wrong but a 250 holds 4 gallons, and at say 60mpg you could go 240 miles, which you will see on your tripometer( which you need to reset after a fill up).

But also when you tank is low a gas light comes on to tell you to flip the reserve valuve and that means it's time to go to a gas station

One if the 250 owner will be able to correct me for a more accurate milage

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.