Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you might think this is excessive, and might just want to go out and buy a set of earbuds that will work. I thought I'd try and make do with what I got.... :p

Those of you with iPhones are lucky - you have a standard 3.5mm plug, with regular spacings between each of the 3 contacts on the connectors.... The Blackberry is a bit different. It has a 2.5 mm plug....

I wanted to turn one of my old earbud sets into something i could on my Blackberry so that I could eliminate my mp3 player.. Then I discovered my stock blackberry headset with those ungodly large earbuds... So I thought - I have an earbud set with a broken plug, but the buds still work great, and I have this blackberry budset with the buds too large....

So off I go with the soldering iron and some heat shrink... if you plan on doing this a few things to keep in mind:

1.) These wires are TINY, so be VERY carefully stripping insulation/shielding off them.
2.) Left is GREEN, and right is RED, they both have the same colored ground (copper)
3.) Put the heat shrink on the wire BEFORE you solder the wires together... :p

My first attempt:

My second attempt, cut the bud off:

Solder the positive wire from the bud to the set together, either the greens together (left), or the red's together (right).

Cover the positive's with heat shrink tubing, and solder the grounds together.

I like to be careful, so I put another piece of heat shrink over the solder joint, and then...

Another long piece over the entire unit to provide structural rigidity.

Next is testing the microphone build into the headset to see if it can work to take calls while I'm on the bike... :p That would be SWEET!

And after that I have to figure out how to put my Ham radio into all of this... :p

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Funny you should post about this for two reasons, one i've been chasing a good set of headphones for my E71 with a microphone, but to no avail. I've been through 3 sets of headphones, and they are all soooo uncomfortable.

Then today, I get given a new Blackberry from work. Was pretty happy with that, until I finished reading the memo that came with it, stating that they can track our location to within 2m at any time, and we must carry it at all times :|

Bastards! Oh and I forget to mention the program is called Skynet!!!!

Felix

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
hehe!! Judgement day is inevitable!!!!!

Spooph, is there anything in your house that has not been modified, tampered with, changed, improved, hacked, cut, soldered, mended, taped, clipped, hammered, belted, strapped, torched, welded, or any other word that ends in "ed"?? :p

I love the way you have an idea for everything that doesn't quite work for your needs, and the skills to get it right for you!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
good idea spooph . as for it taking calls that might be hard to do unless you cover the mic with somthing to avoid the wind sound.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Delta - this is more true than you know. At least in the aspect of electricity. I've gotten bitten more times than I can remember - not high voltage stuff like Felix, but a nice healthy zap keeps the ticker going! :p

Felix, yea, I have the older blackberry, and if I upgrade, it will be to the 8120, which I believe doesn't have GPS in it... That's one reason I don't want an iPhone - big brother can always know where you're at, and that bothers me...

Zandit - no, not many things. If I haven't violated them, my dad has... :p I usually want things that don't exist, so I get what's closest and make it into what I want... It's been this way since I can remember, so I've just kind of gotten used to it... :p

Hi-Tech - I'm playing with that exact issue right now. I've got ultra-high density microphone foam while will cover the entire thing, and then I think I'm going to velcro it to the inside of my helmet, and with that I think my audio quality is going to be more than superb! I'll let you know how it turns out... :p

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
One of the guys I ride with uses a blueant helmet intercom/bluetooth accessorie. You can use it to talkto another rider, either pillion, or a guy up to 150 meters down the road, and it can answer the phone just by hitting a button

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've seen those, but they're expensive! :p I would really like a Cardo scala Rider...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts