Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

In the near future I may be moving to the United States for work purposes and I was hoping you guys would be able to help me with a few bits. How do bike licenses work in the US? In Australia you get your car license then you can go and get a bike license that is either a part of your regular car license or completely separate, depending on the state you are in. Is there any such thing in the US? or do you just get a car license and then you can ride/drive anything you want?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
You get a drivers License then a "M" motorcycle endorsement on the drivers license. Here in Colorado its stupid easy to get.

So you may be coming across the pond?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the girlfriend has better job opportunities in the US, and I'll be going with her to LA probably.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Good luck there! California is a bunch of Nazis, and to try and soften the blow, they allow you to split lanes - fun, but dangerous :D It will be good to have you, although we'd be 1K apart.... Good excuse for a road-trip. Anyways, D is right. You get your driver's license (which is retardedly easy to get - a written test of common sense, and a driving test of common sense), and then you do the same for the motorcycle endorsement. You'll prolly have to schedule a time to take the tests, and I'm sure both the California Driving Handbook and the California Motorcycle Handbook are hosted online, and named something similar to those titles I gave you. I'll try and find them for you if I find some time at work tomorrow....

Also, make sure you research where you'll be living thoroughly. LA has a reputation, and it's not too nice.... Also, once you move there, please don't judge the rest of us off of what you experience from the LA'ers...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts