Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently had the issue of my ninja 250 having some problems with starting...It's taking WAY longer to warm up to the point that I can take the choke off. I've always had to use the choke for a few minutes (just long enough to put all my gear on), but now is at the point that it takes 10-15 minutes before I can take the choke off without it sputtering out and dying. In addition, if I turn the handlebars straight, the idle drops about 500-1000 rpm if it isn't warmed up yet. And the other day, I was parked on a hill and as I tried to start it, the engine just turned over for ~30 sec to a min before finally starting. It's also recently started backfiring when I start the bike...any ideas as to what is up or what I should be checking out?? Trying to avoid taking it into the shop...I may not be mechanically inclined (yet!) but I'm lucky enough to have 3 family members who are!
Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Mine did this last week. If nothing has changed and it was working fine before then most likely fuel/ carb issue.
I added new fuel to full and did about 1/3 can of Seafoam( additive from auto parts store.)
and by the time I got home it was behaving like an angel. The next ride was back to perfect... give that a try.Sometimes a little varnish from over the winter or being on the showroom floor breaks loose in there.

Keep an eye out on milage. Check your owners manual. If you are due for a tune up or valve adj. oil change, be sure to take care of that . But if not just try the seafoam first..
KISS -Keep it simple Sally then if that doesn't work carb check etc...

disclaimer. any advise shall be taken at own risk :) ha!

And yes I use seafoam for everything!! cooking , cleaning, washing,,,,, ok maybe not..

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
wisner....

I'm with Z! KISS - when's the last time you cleaned the air filter?
Does it also do this when it's not warming up on the kick-stand (for instance if you were to sit on it)?

Also, there is only 1 type of seafoam... :p The good kind... If you use seafoam, don't worry about a little smoke in the exhaust, seafoam smokes, it's part of it's magic...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haven't cleaned the air filter...how often should that be done? It doesn't matter what position the bike is in, issues are all the same. Thanks for the note about the smoke...definitely a good thing to be warned about! :)

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I clean my air filter with every oil change, which is usually every 2,000 miles, and not more than 3000 miles. I can't remember what the owner's manual says to do....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good news! It has improved on all fronts. It's still a little slow warming up, but I'm barely half way through the tank, so I'm assuming it can only get better! Thanks for the advice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.