Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took it for a wash yesterday and had no issues at all while riding home. I go to start my bike up today andit only stays on with the choke open, once I put the choke back to its regular poistion the bike cuts off. The engine is warm and it persists. I decided to keep the choke on for a few minutes while riding, but the bike is not accelerating and then gets a sudden jolt of power before going back into slug mode. Does anyone know what is going on and how I can fix this?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
How did you wash the bike? Pressure wash, bucket wash, garden hose? Did you get any water around the gas cap. Water in the gas can cause the same symptoms. Water will usually settle to the bottom of the tank after a while. When the fuel in the fuel bowls are used up then you get a gas/ water mix depending on how much water or condensation is in the tank. Buy some Star Tron Fuel Treatment @ Walmart and put in in the tank and ride around, it should help get rid of the water as well as stabilize the gas and clean the carbs.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used one of those hand wash places that I take my car to wash it with pressure. I avoided the top of the tank as I feared water getting in. I played around with idle speed, but that just made the bike start on a warm engine without the choke. I was going to check the plugs, looks like a bit of moisture built up at the base of at least one plug. I can't investigate more because the engine is still hot.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope I put the caps to my spark plugs back on all the way, those buggers are hard to get off, let alone putting them back on. Anyway, I pulled the caps off and found the inside of both to be wet, so I got some papertowel and dried them off. I put everything back together and the bike started at 4k RPM, so I just adjusted the idle to about 1500 rpm and into first gear I went. I rode down the road without a single power jolt. Everything felt fine, but I really do hope I got the caps back on the plugs all the way. The formerly blocked up side the plug looked a bit brown, but appears to be good. The other side was still perfect looking, I assume that blocked drain has accumulated for a while. Too bad a whole sunny riding day was wasted, but as far as I know, at least I have my bike back to normal.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
I hope I put the caps to my spark plugs back on all the way, those buggers are hard to get off, let alone putting them back on. Anyway, I pulled the caps off and found the inside of both to be wet, so I got some papertowel and dried them off. I put everything back together and the bike started at 4k RPM, so I just adjusted the idle to about 1500 rpm and into first gear I went. I rode down the road without a single power jolt. Everything felt fine, but I really do hope I got the caps back on the plugs all the way. The formerly blocked up side the plug looked a bit brown, but appears to be good. The other side was still perfect looking, I assume that blocked drain has accumulated for a while. Too bad a whole sunny riding day was wasted, but as far as I know, at least I have my bike back to normal.
:thumb::thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.