Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
None have experience with the Bell Transition 'photochromatic' Shield?

:Sent via the NewNinja iPhone App:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Haven't worn one on a ride, but have tried one on to see the effect. I'm not a fan.
The photochromic aspect of the shield is a chemical coating that darkens when exposed to ultraviolet radiation (the Sun).

The 'schtick' is that you don't have to carry 2 shields(clear/shaded), but the reason I took a pass on this feature when looking at helmets is:
The photochromic reaction isn't instantatneous. It takes about 30 seconds to fully darken in the sun, and even longer to lighten once in the shade. If you are passing through light/dark phases on your ride (high contrast shadows or going through a tunnel) when the ambient light conditions suddenly change, your vision can be less than optimal for a good 10-15 seconds. That's too long for me.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have that shield and I LOVE it. I love it so much I bought it for a friend if mine, she loves it as well. At its darkest point its in between the dark smoke and light smoke screens. Transitions very fast. Its great for me because I ride to work in daylight, ride home in the dark. Definitely worth the extra money.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Haven't worn one on a ride, but have tried one on to see the effect. I'm not a fan.
The photochromic aspect of the shield is a chemical coating that darkens when exposed to ultraviolet radiation (the Sun).

The 'schtick' is that you don't have to carry 2 shields(clear/shaded), but the reason I took a pass on this feature when looking at helmets is:
The photochromic reaction isn't instantatneous. It takes about 30 seconds to fully darken in the sun, and even longer to lighten once in the shade. If you are passing through light/dark phases on your ride (high contrast shadows or going through a tunnel) when the ambient light conditions suddenly change, your vision can be less than optimal for a good 10-15 seconds. That's too long for me.
So whats better? A clear shield all the time, or tinted all the time? Neither one changes at all, so the your scenario that you presented doesn't really hold water. I have ridden with the shield for over a year now, and bit once have I had an issue with my vision. Fact if the matter is that you hardly notice it once its dark. From the outside it is very dark, looking thru it is simply perfect. Blocks the perfect amount of sunlight imo.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you like it, go nuts. Just wasn't for me.
I wear a dual-visor helmet myself. Outer shield is clear for dim/night riding. A mechanical lever on the side of the helmet drops down a dark smoke inner shield. Same concept as on the Scorpion EXO 1100's

·
Registered
260 Posts
But you even stated yourself, you never rode with one. Your entire post is assumption, I get that it its your opinion, but the way you presented it was like it was fact. I honestly think you should try it out before assuming, but thats just me.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Who knew photochromic lens would be a heated debate. It sounds like a cool feature. Can't wait until I try for myself.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sorry spooph, just bothers me when people who don't have actual experience with something, talk about things like its fact. As for the shield itself, bell has the patent. So they are the only ones that offer it right now.

The question is, could you take a clear shield to an eye dr and ask them to coat it with the same thing they put on glasses. Its the same thing in theory.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've been curious about transitional type face shields since I first started riding. Being that my eye sight is limited (100%blind in right eye) I always knew would always where a full face helmet no matter what bike I rode for safety reasons. Bright sunlight kills me when driving so i keep several pairs in my car. I didnt want to wear sunglasses under my helmet cause they can sometime be a burden. I searched and found 2 companies S.h.i.e.l.d. Tech and Sunshield that claimed to offer shields for companies like Shoei, Aria, ect. However was they seemed expensive and limited to certain high dollar models of helmets. I wound up opting for a dual shield Vega Vtune helmet. However the inner shield can still let a lot of light in when riding I'm middle summer afternoons and still have to squint my eyes some causing headaches. But I think still better than wearing shades under the helmet. I haven't really searched for transitionals since. I think hopefully within a few more years the technology and demand rise will bring more helmet manufactures to follow making their own type transitional shields. I think they are a fantastic idea and hopefully someone can be the guinea pig, buy one and give a fill review here on NN.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Spooph does it again. You must have TIME on your hands haha!

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Nice stuff Spooph!!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Spooph does it again. You must have TIME on your hands haha!

Nope, I'm just a freakin' genius and a googling fiend.... :rolleyes: Also, a mind like an encyclopedia.... :whistling: I was made aware of those about a year ago. Anyways, not tooting my own horn, but I don't want people thinking I'm lazy, etc. I'm actually stupid busy most of the time. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would never imply you were lazy Spooph, just want you to know that. Thanks for the clarification also. Now I can say "I know ... a Genuis!"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.