Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So guess who was an idiot and forgot to put their battery on a trickle charger before winter storage? That's right, this guy. Went to fire up the bike and the battery is dead. I'm assuming I'm just gonna have to buy a new one. I searched online a bit, just to see how much one was and they ranged from $50.00 - $180.00. Can someone explain why one would be so much more than another? What should I buy? Thanks.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
So guess who was an idiot and forgot to put their battery on a trickle charger before winter storage? That's right, this guy. Went to fire up the bike and the battery is dead. I'm assuming I'm just gonna have to buy a new one. I searched online a bit, just to see how much one was and they ranged from $50.00 - $180.00. Can someone explain why one would be so much more than another? What should I buy? Thanks.
quality.......just do some research n get a good one, but don't buy a cheap one for to much $$$.....:whistling::whistling:

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/index.php

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
How can you have bad quality battery? Like power wise? Life expectancy? Watcha mean exactly?
Basically u can either buy a cheap battery that wont last long, or u can buy a good quality battery for more money that will last u 5-7 years if u take care of it.
My bike right now is on a battery tender for the winter.
It's a stock battery, but if i take care of it this will last me maybe 4 years.
If i didn't keep it maintained on this Battery trickle type charger for the winter while it's not being run. I'd have to buy a new battery every year.
I buy maintenance free batteries. These you don't ever have to add fluid to. If you drop ur bike they don't leak. I'm not sure if my stock battery is a sealed battery or not. Didn't pay much attention when i connected the charger to it. but.....next battery will be a sealed battery n a better quality one then stock.......well if the bike last that long......?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
....Can someone explain why one would be so much more than another? What should I buy? Thanks.
Build quality and materials are the difference between a good and a cheap battery. The stock Yuasa batteries are good quality batteries and will perform well if properly taken care of. My stock battery is 4 yrs old. Last time I checked, it was putting out a resting voltage of 12.72 in 50 degree temps. I put it on the charger about once a month during the winter.

You can't go wrong buying an exact stock replacement. If you want to upgrade and shave about 8 lbs, consider a Shorai battery.

You may be able to breath some life back into your battery depending on how old it is. Iv'e heard of people who thought their batteries were dead, but putting them on the charger for a day or two revitalized it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blue Ghost said:
Build quality and materials are the difference between a good and a cheap battery. The stock Yuasa batteries are good quality batteries and will perform well if properly taken care of. My stock battery is 4 yrs old. Last time I checked, it was putting out a resting voltage of 12.72 in 50 degree temps. I put it on the charger about once a month during the winter.

You can't go wrong buying an exact stock replacement. If you want to upgrade and shave about 8 lbs, consider a Shorai battery.

You may be able to breath some life back into your battery depending on how old it is. Iv'e heard of people who thought their batteries were dead, but putting them on the charger for a day or two revitalized it.
Thank you. I'm gonna try and to charge it and see what happens. Hoping itll still be good.

·
Registered
307 Posts
i charged up a quad battery once that was dead for 4 months of the winter of 2009 by just using a marine battery charger on auto until it kicked out then turned it to manual for another 5 hours it was good then and still good 4 years later.oh make sure the level of acid in each cell is not below the add mark if so use distilled water to bring it to full mark.if its a maintenance free you cant add water.i'm guessing that will fix it.if the charger on auto says its at full charge but wont turn over the bike motor then its time for replacing it has a dead cell.

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
i charged up a quad battery once that was dead for 4 months of the winter of 2009 by just using a marine battery charger on auto until it kicked out then turned it to manual for another 5 hours it was good then and still good 4 years later.oh make sure the level of acid in each cell is not below the add mark if so use distilled water to bring it to full mark.if its a maintenance free you cant add water.i'm guessing that will fix it.if the charger on auto says its at full charge but wont turn over the bike motor then its time for replacing it has a dead cell.
I have a few dead cells......:dance::dance:
:whistling::whistling::whistling:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.