Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about getting a battery tender.. i ride my bike year round and have no intention of stopping anytime soon (i also ride almost every day). Do i need one? Or will the battery be fine.. my trips are usually between 1.5-7 miles, so they're not that long.

How often should i connect it to the tender if i do get one?

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
If ur able to ride most everyday. I'd say don't bother.
Battery tender is mostly good for us who have to put our bikes up for months because of a thing called.....
WINTER SUCKS!!!!
I'd think 5 or more miles of riding would be enough to charge ur battery each trip if it is starting right up each time.
Maybe once in a bit ride it a bit further.....say a 20 mile trip to be sure....if possible...

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The most common reason for a battery to be discharged is from taking a lot of short, low-rpm trips. It takes about 10-20 minutes of running over 3-4k rpm to recharge the battery from a start. If you go take a bunch of 5 minute trips down the road (start, run 5 minutes, stop, start, run 5, stop, start, run 5, etc.) you can wear down the charge on your battery quickly. If you take longer trips, charging should be covered. Not riding the bike for a long period is the most common way to kill a battery, so you should use a battery charger to help maintain it, especially if you have a lead-acid type battery. I put my bike on the charger once a month to help give it a good and thorough charge.

Battery chargers are relatively inexpensive. You can get a good one for under $25. It's better to have one and not need it, than need it and not have it. Sort of a cheap insurance policy, just in case. Also having a cheap multimeter is a good way to check your voltage and for other electrical task.

See this thread for more info;
Motorcycle Battery & Battery Charging Tips

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
The most common reason for a battery to be discharged is from taking a lot of short, low-rpm trips. It takes about 10-20 minutes of running over 3-4k rpm to recharge the battery from a start. If you go take a bunch of 5 minute trips down the road (start, run 5 minutes, stop, start, run 5, stop, start, run 5, etc.) you can wear down the charge on your battery quickly. If you take longer trips, charging should be covered. Not riding the bike for a long period is the most common way to kill a battery, so you should use a battery charger to help maintain it, especially if you have a lead-acid type battery. I put my bike on the charger once a month to help give it a good and thorough charge.

Battery chargers are relatively inexpensive. You can get a good one for under $25. It's better to have one and not need it, than need it and not have it. Sort of a cheap insurance policy, just in case. Also having a cheap multimeter is a good way to check your voltage and for other electrical task.

See this thread for more info;
Motorcycle Battery & Battery Charging Tips
Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger : Amazon.com : Automotive

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The Battery Tender Junior is a 12-volt/.75-amp battery charger.

Kawasaki recommends using a 12 volt/ 1.5 Amp Automatic Charger.

Schumacher makes a perfect charger designed for small batteries such as used on motorcycles. It can be purchased at Walmart for about $21.00

The Schumacher Model XM1-5 maintains both 6 and 12-volt batteries, keeping them at full charge using float-mode monitoring. The XM1-5 is perfect for charging small and large batteries found on motorcycles, classic cars, RVs, boats and more.
Schumacher XM1-5 Maintainer, 1.5-Amp:

* 1.5 amp charger and maintainer
* Fully automatic
* Microprocessor controlled
* Automatic voltage detection
* Automatic temperature compensation
* Thermal runaway protection
* Safety start feature
* LEDs indicate charging, charged and power
* Quick disconnect harness
* Reverse hookup protection

·
Registered
9,088 Posts
The Battery Tender Junior is a 12-volt/.75-amp battery charger.

Kawasaki recommends using a 12 volt/ 1.5 Amp Automatic Charger.

Schumacher makes a perfect charger designed for small batteries such as used on motorcycles. It can be purchased at Walmart for about $21.00

The Schumacher Model XM1-5 maintains both 6 and 12-volt batteries, keeping them at full charge using float-mode monitoring. The XM1-5 is perfect for charging small and large batteries found on motorcycles, classic cars, RVs, boats and more.
Schumacher XM1-5 Maintainer, 1.5-Amp:

* 1.5 amp charger and maintainer
* Fully automatic
* Microprocessor controlled
* Automatic voltage detection
* Automatic temperature compensation
* Thermal runaway protection
* Safety start feature
* LEDs indicate charging, charged and power
* Quick disconnect harness
* Reverse hookup protection
Butt.....does it desulfinate??
I smell sulfer.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.