Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 520 miles on my 09' ninja SE and I've just recently noticed that it has backfired twice now within a few days. The backfires occurred while starting the bike both times. The bike did not stall, but seemed okay and ran fine as usual. Also, I have not made any exhaust or engine mods. Does anyone have any suggestions or input? Is this normal? Has this happened to anyone else?

-Hellboy-

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Small backfire or spitting is normal on start ups from time to time on carbureted vehicles, however it should not be the norm. Backfiring on deceleration or acceleration is a sign of other problems.

·
Registered
62 Posts
hey I had this happen yesterday during start up and i have only 130km on mine, I think it was because I had the choke on and didnt need it.

hopefully doesnt happen anytime again soon effing scared the life outta me!!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
it will probably also go away as the temperatures drop....

and Ghost, if there's spitting and backfiring on decel, it's not problems, it just means the beasty wants to keep running. :p It's got enough juice, use it! J/K man, you be right, and it be rich...

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
More than likely you are getting backfires because of running to high of octane in your bike. Unless it is super hot out, you dont need anything higher than 87 octane. Our bikes dont run hot enough to burn high octane gas. A backfire is a build up of carbon or unburned gases that ignite in your exhaust pipes. And it builds up because it is not burned all the way........this has been discussed many a time on here. haha. look it up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
wow guess i must of missed that one, I have been using premium in mine!

StockWall said:
More than likely you are getting backfires because of running to high of octane in your bike. Unless it is super hot out, you dont need anything higher than 87 octane. Our bikes dont run hot enough to burn high octane gas. A backfire is a build up of carbon or unburned gases that ignite in your exhaust pipes. And it builds up because it is not burned all the way........this has been discussed many a time on here. haha. look it up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Its coming along awesome, passed my test 2 weeks ago!! First Time Woot Woot, so after taking a knowledge test, an MSF course and then going on rides for about a month it's a relief!!!! The only thing is now by insurance company is trying to rip me, they won't lower my insurance premium even though I have the class 6 (motorcycle) now, so i'm going to cancel and go with my regular insurance company who would'nt insure me as a learner!!?? its messed up here in Alberta, Canada with the new rules!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.