Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was going to go get some more chainlube (almost out) I didn't want to take my truck bc I just blew a header gasket yesterday and it's like 70 degrees out! So I took my back seat off and took the tools and clip out, put my chain lube can in it for measurement before I drive all the way to the store without a backpack. It fit great.... Until I took it out. The angle pulling it out busted a plastic piece which I guess is for the key. I put my seat back on and now it won't come off. The key turns but it doesn't unlock bc the plastic piece that broke. I took the black pieces and driver seat off. and the braket under the rear fairings so I could atleast get my registration out until I find a way to get the seat off. Any suggestions for getting the seat off?

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
If you look closely on the right side under the rear fairing you'll see the cable that connects the keylock with the release mechanism. Maybe, while holding the cable you can keep the release mechanism stationary enough to get the seat off? Or you can try and get the fairing off... It's got 4 bolts. I can't remember which ones are covered up by the seat. I know there are two that bolt the two pieces together, somewhere between the main and passenger seat, one on the bottom, right next to the fender, and then one in the back, underneath the seat. Can you try and pry the seat away and get to this bolt?

You might actually have to partially loosen the rear fender and fanagle your hand up in there to hold the release mechanism. The two battery box bolts, the two airbox screws, the two bottom fairing bolts, and you should be able to get up in there, be careful of sharp edges.

You could also try unbolting the tail light from the bottom and the velcro from the top and going in through there, just be carefull with all the wires in the rear..

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks alot. You gave me plenty options to try. I won't be able to to unbolt the rear fairing bc of the seat, it's far to close to the plastic and I don't want to scratch them. My only other concern is when I get the seat off what do I do haha. Try gorilla glueing the plastic piece back on?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha yea, I didn't feel like taking one through walmart. I once bought one of those zip up binders when I was younger with my grandma and the lady at the counter was like "now let me take a peak in here to make sure there's nothing hiding in it." She had to say it in a sweet voice bc I being 7years old wanted to steal stuff... pshh yea right. But idk stupid hurts. It's always something. If it's not the bike it's my truck blowing header gaskets. The pleasure of having the loudest truck in town. I can never win.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea I'll be going on my 4th header gasket on the passesnger side header. I think the header itself is warped and when I put a heavy load off the line in my truck it blows it out the same port evertime. Atleast I have one gasket left! haha. Wow I have a lot on my plate to fix. Oh and I just had to rebuild my tranny in my truck 3 weeks ago. Fun stuff.

·
Registered
47 Posts
a picture might help? so can you take off your rear fairings? also when you turn the key does it return back to the center position?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nah rear fairing is out of the question. I asked the dealer today. No help at all. Oh well. I didn't have anytime today to mess with it.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
it's the mounting piece that holds the locking mechanism in place underneath the seat...

And you can try guerilla glue, but I've found replacements, or replacement fabrication is the best.... I mean, it if was plastic, and it broke the first time, why should I replace it with plastic, I'm gonna fab up something out of aluminum that will do that job better :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok I fixed the problem. I pryed the back seat up with like a 2 ft. screwdriver and stuck another one in the puch the lock over and had my gf pull the seat off. Very simple to do. and under the seat there's a metal bracket with 2 screws holding it in to the frame. Under that is the locking mechanism. It's metal with plastic attached to it? JUNK! I broke the plastic piece off that holds the cable in place to give it tension to release. So I gorilla glued it all up last night, let it sit for 12+ hours and reinstalled it. Works like a charm now.

This is for you spooph cuz your amazing at finding parts on bikebandit... I can't dins the part on bike bandit under any categories. I'd like to buy a replacement one cuz I don't like the idea of it just being glued as long as the part isnt expensive. Thanks man.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
not exactly sure which part you broke, you never gave me a picture :(, but check this:
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/kawasaki-motorcycle-ex250j8f-ninja-250r-2008-side-covers-chain-cover/o/m17215sch550366

and this (This one has the locking mechanism on it):
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/kawasaki-motorcycle-ex250j8f-ninja-250r-2008-ignition-switch-locks-reflectors/o/m17215sch550383

Good luck, and I want a full write-up! :p

The more we pool our knowledges, the better this site gets. And I really the sociological standard happenin' hea...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The part number is 27016. It's $24, but for now I'll stick with the gorilla glue fix. Thanks for finding that part for me on bike bandit. I absolutely could not find it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts