Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on ninja wiki that having frame sliders can be more damage than protecting. Any MythBusters in here?

:Sent via the NewNinja iPhone App:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Did they specify the reason it isn't safe?
The only thing I can think of how they could do mote damage is if you have sliders like I have. They are PSR sliders and basically it's just one long bolt that replaces the top motor mount bolt. If the bike was laid over really hard it could bend the area of mounts for motor and frame.
I just thought of something else.... If the slider ends became loose on the replacement bolt/ rod that goes through the top mount then the ends could rotate when it hits and slides and possibly cracking the fairings.
I feel though that if everything was put together correctly and bolt tightness checked often then there should be no worries. I'm curious as to their reasons.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Bulletproof250r said:
The only thing I can think of how they could do mote damage is if you have sliders like I have. They are PSR sliders and basically it's just one long bolt that replaces the top motor mount bolt. If the bike was laid over really hard it could bend the area of mounts for motor and frame.
I just thought of something else.... If the slider ends became loose on the replacement bolt/ rod that goes through the top mount then the ends could rotate when it hits and slides and possibly cracking the fairings.
I feel though that if everything was put together correctly and bolt tightness checked often then there should be no worries. I'm curious as to their reasons.
It's mainly down like you say where they bolt ,after a crash they tend to bend the frame which Is then a write off !

·
Registered
646 Posts
Frame sliders are one of those things.. Fairings are pretty much for two things.. To make bikes aerodynamic, And to protect more vital parts like the engine. Then you put frame sliders on to protect the sacrificial fairing because their ridiculously expensive.
They're a calculated risk on a more expensive protection system.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bulletproof250r said:
It mentioned that frame sliders will only try to protect in a low-slide but end up bending the frame. Essentially where ever the frame slider is attached that contact point on a crash will take force and transfer damage to frame other other corresponding parts. I believe the article states that it would only protect faring from a drop in a garage or something like that.

:Sent via the NewNinja iPhone App:

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Frame sliders are named Frame sliders because they were originally designed to protect the frame, not the fairings. As off-shore companies started making copies, the essence of the frame slider was lost, which is why WHO you buy them from is important...

There is another way frame sliders can't exacerbate a crash.... By catching while the bike is low-siding and flipping the bike into a high side....

I keep my shogun's on because they are good high way pegs and allow me to stretch out my legs on long rides. How's that for a confused intent?

As Ratty said, it's a calculated risk.... With them you stand to loose less money, or, maybe a lot more money depending on the situation and crash, however, without them, you will loose a lot of money, even to a garage drop...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.