Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given the up coming cold weather, I have decided to get into woodworking this winter when I winterized my moto. Anyone here into woodworking? If so, can you advise me on the first tools one should buy and if a lie-Nielsen/veratis is worth buying or would a groz/Stanley or the likes be a better option for a beginner?

:Sent via the NewNinja App:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Qweity said:
What type of woodworking? Like cabinets, counters, furniture, or sculpting? Or something totally different?
Good question, I am looking at build boxes, cutting boards etc, then if it it sticks I am thinking of turning wood and carving, possibly building small articles like a step stool, a small stool etc. I hope to do most work with hand tools.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the way, I found a type 16 Stanley plane No 4 fat a garage sale, I just need to restore it-but it isn't too bad. I haut don't own any sharpening tools yet.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NefRider said:
By the way, I found a type 16 Stanley plane No 4 fat a garage sale, I just need to restore it-but it isn't too bad. I haut don't own any sharpening tools yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well if you want to try sculpting you do not need a lot of tools to start carving. One knife will get you started until you decide if you really want to keep on carving. An X-Acto Knife from a craft store is good to start with. Don't buy a
whole set--just a handle and a package of #11 blades.

It's really not a good idea to start with a kitchen knife or a jack knife. An alternative to the X-Acto Knife would be a good wood carving knife but you won't really know which one you want until after you've worked on a few simple projects.

Carving supply catalogs have carving knives when the time comes. Very soon after you start you will want to expand your tools. But do not buy any "sets".

You will want to buy 3 basic tools. A 45 degree "V" tool, a 1/2 inch gouge and a 1/4 inch gouge. Any tools you use must be very sharp. Dull tools will cause you no end of trouble. Your wood will rip and tear and you will cut yourself from having to push too hard on the dull tool. Sharp tools take less effort, make a clean cut, and let you have more control.

With the X-Acto Knife, when the blade is dull you can replace it. If you use a Wood Carving Knife you will have to learn to sharpen your tool. Sunset Magazine has a book on basic beginning woodcarving that might be of help. It has a section on sharpening also. Wood carving books can also be found in your local library.

And when it comes to building a stool, all you really need is mortising jig, and a tenon jig. With that and some basic wood glue, screws/nails, a hammer, and some clamps, you can achieve just about anything.

I hope this helped. Sorry if it seems "basic" as I do not know your skill level (no offense), or how much time or money you would like to sink into this. Once again, I hope this helped.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My skill level is pretty much zilch. So Thank you very much for your time in writing back. To me it will be useful. I want to get into this with my 10 yr old son (something to share with dad other than technology).

I will start small and see where it goes from there. I will talk to my son an see how much commitment he is thinking e will put to this. I will do it for myself if anything. I am trying to weed out of TD (technology Dependency) :)

Again thanks for the info. Happy riding. Going to begin winterize mg mine soon.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Qweity said:
Glad to be of service. If you need anymore tips or something feel free to ask.
I always love to help.
Ride safe.
Ok thanks I know I will. I'll hit you up when the time comes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.