Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gummybear said:
i use arch. been using linux exclusively since like.... oh god the dawn of time ;-)

no prolly like 7 years tho.

what are you having problems with???
i got it to work using virtual box, i was trying to install STEAM to play games, and i just couldn't get it to run using wine. =( i got it going once and had to shut it down to get my password from my email and coulnd't get it to start again, but its running in a VISTA emulation so.

eh im running Linux 7 Gloria, i like it bunches.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
oooo, a linux thread... I've been wanting to get into Linux for a really long time now, but I really don't want to run a VM for apps I need, so I've been looking a researching to make sure there is a Linux equivalent for the things I need to do:

Photo Editing - The Gimp, which I love
Video Editing - Jashakra? - Anybody have any experience with this?
Sounds Editing - ???

I really like XXuntu (Ubuntu or derivative). what do you guys think? There are so many stinking distros I get lost and have never made the time to figure out what exactly would work great for my machine (Lenovo S10). Ubuntu says there are still a few key bugs to figure out on this laptop, so I haven't migrated over... As much as I want to be Linux nerd, I'll never get there, so it's better for me just to ask you folks who I know and trust, eh? :p

·
Registered
256 Posts
what kind of vid editing do you want to do? unfortunately video editing is kinda a weak spot for open source. look at cinelerra or kino for more imovie type stuff. avidemux works great for me for cutting and splicing and fixing up vids...

sound editing has a TON of apps. the whole JACK framework is for linux, and you can use audacity as a acid pro replacement/wave editor, or ardour for production. it would be silly for me to try to list the audio apps for linux... or http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20080622143124178/Audio.html

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
read through it bfore, didn't ease any pains and didn't have a tutorial.

in process of installing a new VIRTUAL BOX APP but can't figure out how to uninstall the old one, lulz

·
Registered
256 Posts
i think they are great!

haha well my choice in distro would be much different than what would suit you, i think. some ppl use slackware, others hate it. personally, i would never use ubuntu, but its great for people who are new to linux. really its up to you. ubu is a good start, if you want to learn as little as possible. if you arent afraid of learning a bit, fedora might be better.

i could go on and on, so dont start me unless you want to read a 15 page post :D

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gummybear said:
i think they are great!

haha well my choice in distro would be much different than what would suit you, i think. some ppl use slackware, others hate it. personally, i would never use ubuntu, but its great for people who are new to linux. really its up to you. ubu is a good start, if you want to learn as little as possible. if you arent afraid of learning a bit, fedora might be better.

i could go on and on, so dont start me unless you want to read a 15 page post :D
\

no dont get ubuntu, to many driver problems with NVIDIA.

then again could have just been my encounter.....

im using MINT 7 and its aimed toward us newbies and i love it <333333333333

fuck windows, micro$uck can rot in hell, they make crappy software and blame it on the environment in which its run, there software sucks so does the company.

people just use it cause its easy,

·
Registered
256 Posts
hey linux is easy. all it is is a paradigm shift. people fear what they dont know, plain and simple. why try something new and scary when you can just deal with the problems you know about in your existing system...

whatever, im not trying to go on a holy war. fuck m$, fuck apple, fuck all that bullshit that everyone deals with on a daily basis but doesnt care enough about to try to change. if you like linux, do it. plain and simple

@audacia actually in my experience mint7 64bit has problems with nvidia proprietary drivers, but i havent tried 9.04.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
gummybear said:
hey linux is easy. all it is is a paradigm shift. people fear what they dont know, plain and simple. why try something new and scary when you can just deal with the problems you know about in your existing system...

whatever, im not trying to go on a holy war. f**k m$, f**k apple, f**k all that bullshit that everyone deals with on a daily basis but doesnt care enough about to try to change. if you like linux, do it. plain and simple

@audacia actually in my experience mint7 64bit has problems with nvidia proprietary drivers, but i havent tried 9.04.
im running mint 7 gloria 32

only distro i have tried that runs nvidia seamlessly

but that's me.

ohwell. enjoy using linux you penguins.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sabayon Linux isnt too bad either www.sabayonlinux.orghttp:// as far as the nvidia drives alot of the issues stems from nvidia being so propritary with thier drives so most linux distros will have problems with them. I have used Ubuntu, Slackware, Fedora, Gentoo, and FreeBSD they all have thier strong and week points if you are lookign for somehting quick to get going with stay away from Gentoo, Slackware and FreeBSD. Fedora seems to release alot of revisions FreeBSD is more of a server suited linux

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.