Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because I'm giving it a go...

Bought this shifter kart in pretty shabby shape. Took a few mechanical magicians to get it to run. But it was fun to drift on the grass!

After a while of doing that I hunted down an engine. My engine builder had this thing on his shop floor:

2003 Suzuki GSX-R 750... 140 hp. Yum!

Here's where I got to today:

Frame is extended to accommodate the bigger engine. Some work has been done to get the engine mounts happening.

My buddy and I are fairly unskilled and we're just doing this for a bit of fun. We take it pretty slowly so don't expect it to be driving any time soon.

Here's a vid from when we first got the engine running off the bike:

[url]http://vimeo.com/6776517[/URL]

Any questions?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What skills can you bring to the table? It's usually pretty boring for people not directly working on it.

Once it's running there's a very long list of people who want a go haha.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
wow.vids vids vids vids all the way through the build! its going to be awesome when its finished.

make sure to up rate the bearings as well

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll have a trailer next year, thats about it.
That IS a useful skill. I hope you're up for lifting heavy objects though. It's starting to get pretty heavy with all the extra material.

shedding away all the extra material you would get on that bike is going to add so much more speed and acceleration
In theory I guess. But the kart has tiny wheels so it will just smoke up with any heavy throttle. Sprocket selection will help tame it though.

make sure to up rate the bearings as well
At first we will be adding extra hangers. If the axle ends up bending then it will get swapped out for a 50mm.

That engine sounds like a V8 when idling, so beautiful!
It is amazing to listen to. We do have a muffler for it but it shouldn't dampen it too much. With the ~30cm headers on it now, it spits massive blue flames out the end.

·
Registered
173 Posts
That IS a useful skill. I hope you're up for lifting heavy objects though. It's starting to get pretty heavy with all the extra material.
I can lift things. Can I come too? :p

It is amazing to listen to. We do have a muffler for it but it shouldn't dampen it too much. With the ~30cm headers on it now, it spits massive blue flames out the end.
Awesome vid. And yes it does sound amazing! Can't wait to see a vid of the flames.. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thats the thing, the wheels run on the ramps, and the body goes up the middle... Since the wheels aren't covered by body, it should work (well it does in my mind).
There is definitely metal between the wheels. It'll scrape. EDIT: What crack am I on? Just looking at my own pictures says there isn't haha.

One rear mount done. Turns out we eye'd it in pretty bad and it's a lot further forward then expected. Just means we have to move the seat a bit. And shield our heads.

More progress over the holidays. Austyn will be away so it'll just be me making mounts and figuring things out.

Need to buy a fuel cell...

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does anyone have ideas for a fuel tank? For testing the engine we've just had the pump mounted in a fuel can that you would use for your mower.

I was thinking of getting something fabbed but it doesn't seem worth the cost...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.