Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my oil today as it was long over due, here is what i did:

1. I went for a little ride to get things nice and warm

2. Took out the drain plug, and the thing that holds the filter in there and in both cases enjoyed the hot oil running down my arm...

3. Once oil all drained out, put the drain plug back in and re assembled that other thing (making sure to put some oil on the filters grommets!)

4. Then I unscrewed the little cap off where you put the oil in, poured in 1.3 litres of oil in (in case the whole 1.6 wouldn't fit till some had a chance to get in the filter) then tried to start the bike up. It didnt work. So i put the other .3 litres of oil in and screwed the cap back on thinking that this would solve the problem as I didnt have the cap on the first time. Tried to start it up twice more, but no dice. I dont want to keep trying in case i made a mistake that could &#@$ something up.

I dont know what could be wrong. The only thing I can think of is that maybe i shouldn't have tried to start it with that cap off...but now that it is on what is the problem?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha i dont know what the problem was. I thought about it and couldnt think of anything that could be going wrong so i gave it one more go and she started up with a very smooth low idle like have never heard before then before 2 seconds had passed was idling like it always does on a warm tuesday evening in june!

thanks for the input any way ghost!

I wonder why it wouldnt start right away?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Cossitt said:
I wonder why it wouldnt start right away?
She was pissed you waited so long to change her fluids, so she was paying you back!! :D

congrats though on not really solving your problem but it working out anyhow... haha!

and having your oil cap off and trying to start it wouldnt create any problems like that... maybe your bike thought it was still in gear because of the oil change or something? remember oil is for engine - clutch - & tranny! so i would asume this is the case... just keep an eye on it when you do it again...

ill tell you what i do when i change my oil...
everytime i take the drain plug out wipe if clean, drain oil, replace plug, fill oil... ( obviously i skipped filter, but i do that too ) and start the bike no leaks... drain my oil catch pan, and WTF!!! my aluminum washer for the drain plug... haha twice now! then i have to take it out plug the hole with my finger to not drain my whole bike of its new oil, and put it on and quickly plug her back in...

easy fix, just pisses me off that i cold be so stupid to do it twice! haha... just thought id share... not to threadjack or nuthin... :p

·
Registered
274 Posts
twice, eh crushed?

it's ok - I have done one oil change and am getting ready to do my 2nd tomorrow

today i watched some youtube videos and finally figured out what those "extra" parts I had from the last change are. LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.