Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I just bought my first Kawasaki after 27 years of riding. I've had everything from Honda Elite scooters in the late 80's to a CBR600 F3 and F4, and a BMW G650 XCountry that I just sold.

Yesterday I bought a new Ninja 400R, it seems like the perfect bike for my commute to work, easy on gas, good on the highway, and will be able to more than keep up with my friends on their adventure bikes and cruisers.

I pick it up on Tuesday, and will post a full review after a I get in a few days of riding.

Why didn't I get a 650? Well it was an extra $1200, plus I'm saving on my insurance with the 400, and I really don't think I need a 650. The 400R has almost the same horsepower as my BMW, and that was plenty. I don't need arm pulling acceleration anymore. I've also always been a fan of 400's. In high school I used to drool over RZ350's and NS400R's, so a nice 400 has been on the radar for a lot of years.

Anyway here it is..........

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, never owned a Nova, my grandfather had '72 Nova.

I flew for a company called Air Nova for 7 years, before it was merged into Air Canada JAZZ. Best little airline in the world.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

You have started off well by posting pics!

Make sure you post more when you get the bike :D

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Welcome Nova!!! Nice looking bike there, but I am a little biased!!! :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I have my new 400R in the garage. The weather has sucked here, rain, rain and more rain. It finally turned to a heavy drizzle and I figured it was a good time to go get it from the dealer.

My entire ride time was about 30mins, in wet conditions, so I took it easy, wet roads and new tires aren't a recipe for traction.

My initial impressions....nice, not awe inspiring, no neck jerking acceleration, but nice. It goes up through the gears quick and you'll find yourself cruising through the city in 4th or 5th. Mid range power is nice. The bike is comfortable, light clutch feel, and it shifts nice, not clunky like a BMW. For a twin it's smooth, and fairly vib free.

I went for a small trip on the highway, and it cruises nice at 7000rpm at 120kph, wind buffeting was minimal, and the bike felt solid on the highway, despite the 50kph winds. Something I was very happy about, since my last bike wasn't the best on the highway.

As far as handling goes, too early to tell just yet, I took it very easy on the wet roads, but it feels light and flickable.

If I can get a couple of days of dry road riding, and some longer time in the saddle I'll post a follow up and some pics. Overall though, I am happy with the bike.

My insurance through State Farm, full coverage is $300/year with a $1000 deductable. My G650 was $495.

More later.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Sounds great Nova, congrats. Hope the sun shines for you soon. It does shine out there a couple days a year I think, doesn't it? Like once in July and twice in August....:whistling:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.