Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Fellow Riders~

Been asking around for information regarding my new bike and happened across this forum. Figured this would be the best and most informative place to get the right information since this is a site dedicated to Kawasaki Ninjas. I have been riding for over 10 years. My previous bike was a 2000 Kawasaki Ninja 500 and I bought it used and it was well broken in.

Since I am now a proud owner of a 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250r, I am finding much conflicting information regarding how to break in a new bike as far as the amount of miles to break in, proper way to warm up, how the bike should sound, etc. Any suggestions from those who actually know what it is like to ride a brand new Kawasaki Ninja??????? Also, I have questions about the shifting as it seems like I have to shift pretty early from 1st to 2nd gear or the engine sounds like it is really reving. I am talking about the 10-12 mph range. Perhaps I am just trying to get used to my new bike in comparison to my old bike, but any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
The official break in range is 600 miles. I believe the recommended break in method is in the owners manual, could be wrong about that, though. Kawi wants you to keep the revs relatively low during this phase. Like, "I can't get on the highway because I'm doing 45 in 6th" low. This just isn't realistic for most people. The dealer should have gone over proper break in with you at delivery. Don't hesitate to call them and ask. Anyway, from what I've seen, the biggest thing is vary your rpms during break in. Don't maintain a single speed or rev point for a long time.

As far as shifting goes, you are probably doing right for break in anyway. Past that point, the motor is designed for high revs. Don't stress it. I did the same thing for while. Now I shift at 8k plus. She seems much happier now.

Sent from my iPhone using New Ninja

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! Makes me feel much better after reading ur post. Good to know that I am doing the "right" thing at this point. I was jus unsure since this bike rides so differently from my old bike. My prob now is getting miles on the bike since my daily round trip is under 10 miles to & frm work. I haven't been able to just ride. A bit too busy at the moment. I haven't even reached 75 at this point....hahahahahaha! If u can tink of any other suggestions etc, plz let me know. Again, I appreciate ur feedback!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts