Kawasaki Ninja Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read somewhere that you should not add brake fluid unless you are sure it's the same kind (formulation) as what is in the lines. Otherwise you should drain it and replace it all. Is that true? Isn't there some universal brake fluid you can use?

Sherwiner

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
front brake fluid is low below the mark, but I read on another forum not to add brake fluid unless I know what kind is already in there. Isn't there a universal fluid that I can add or do I need to drain what is in there and start over??

( I keep finding things that need fixing)
If your front brake fluid is low, and you don't have a leak in the system, it's probably because your front brake pads are very worn down. Check those first, and if they are still OK, you can top it off with DOT 4 brake fluid (NOT DOT 3 or DOT 5 or DOT 5.1). I would recommend you remove all of the old fluid though and bleed the system with brand new fluid....

also replaced the rubber on the shift lever- dare I try to unbend the foot part - it's a bit askew. This bike was dropped hard!
As has been mentioned, yes, you can bend it back. I have bent mine back quite a few times. As Fry mentioned, heat helps... A few things to be aware of - it's best to remove it from the bike, because torquing the gear-selector shaft bearing - the shaft the shift lever is attached to, could cause a costly oil leak to develop out of your transmission. This however is just theory, because I've bent mine back out multiple time, while it was still connected to the bike, and no leaks have developed yet....

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I moved my response from the "What did you do to your ninja today" thread. Please don't post a question in more than one spot on the forum, it makes it difficult to keep track of, and to keep all replies to the issue in one spot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
After you change it completely this time, you can add more later, but I wouldn't mix DOT 3, DOT 4, or DOT 5.1. I often top off the brake fluid after bleeding my brakes at the track, trying to get rid of air bubbles.

I have a bunch of half full containers of (unused) brake fluid in the garage because I get paranoid that it goes bad... they say you shouldn't store it for very long after the container has been opened. How long is long? :ermm:

I read somewhere that you should not add brake fluid unless you are sure it's the same kind (formulation) as what is in the lines. Otherwise you should drain it and replace it all. Is that true? Isn't there some universal brake fluid you can use?

Sherwiner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.